Strawberry Icebox Shortcake is a delicious twist on two classic spring and summer treats! Now you don’t have to choose between your favorite fresh strawberry desserts: Strawberry Shortcake and Strawberry Icebox Cake. You can have the best of both worlds, packed into one simple dessert. If you like strawberries, I suggest you to try No Bake Strawberry Jello Lasagna, Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes or Strawberry Sheet Cake, too.
Strawberry Shortcake and Strawberry Icebox Cake
However, Strawberry Shortcake and Strawberry Icebox Cake are my two all-time favorite desserts! They are both super simple to make and the taste is simply amazing.
When the strawberry season starts, I can’t decide which one I should make first. Therefore, when I see the first fresh strawberries at the market, I simply must take a few packages. And as soon as I get home I have to make both right away!
But, this time I decided to make a fun twist on traditional shortcake and icebox cake. And honestly, I was a little afraid of how everything will turn out. Finally, I thought, as long as it has my favorite fruit, fresh and juicy strawberries, it has to be delicious! And it was! My Strawberry Icebox Shortcake turned out better than I expected.
This dessert came out so flavorful and very refreshing! Bites of vanilla pound cake layered with fresh strawberries and strawberry jam, all bond together with delicious lemon-flavored mixture of whipped cream, cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk.
Lemon Strawberry Pound Cake Recipe
Lemon and fresh strawberries are so refreshing combo! So, this would be perfect treat to welcome the spring. If you use store bought pound cake, this is also a NO BAKE RECIPE.
When you put it all together, no bake recipe + fresh strawberries + a hint of tangy lemon taste, it’s perfect, simple and easy recipe for hot summer days!!! I’ve added freshly grated lemon zest in the filling, to give it a real lemon bust, but if you are not a huge fun of lemon, just omit the lemon zest and use only lemon juice. It would be delicious as well. So, try it!
Strawberry Icebox Shortcake is delicious twist on two classic spring and summer treats! Now you don’t have to choose between your favorite fresh strawberry desserts: Strawberry Shortcake and Strawberry Icebox Cake. You can have the best of both worlds, packed into one simple dessert.
- 1 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 teaspoons gelatin powder
- ¼ cup boiling water
- 8 oz. cream cheese-softened
- 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest (or more if you prefer intense lemon flavor)
- 5 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 12 oz. fresh strawberries- small diced (about 2 1/3 cups)
- ¾ cup strawberry jam
- 9 x 5-inch vanilla pound cake (you can use store bought or make one using this recipe)
- ½ cup strawberry topping
- Fresh strawberries
- Trim the edges from vanilla pound cake, then cut in bite size pieces, set aside.
- Line bottom and sides of 2.5 quart dish with plastic wrap, leaving an overhang the sides. I used 8.5 x 8.5 x 2-inch glass dish.
- Combine diced strawberries and strawberry jam, stir well and set aside.
- Stir gelatin in boiling water until dissolved completely and set aside to cool slightly.
- Beat heavy whipping cream, vanilla and powdered sugar until stiff peaks form, set aside.
- In large mixing bowl combine cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk and lemon zest. Mix to combine. Add whipped cream and mix to combine. Add dissolved gelatin and mix just to combine evenly.
- Slowly pour in lemon juice and mix just to combine.
- In the bottom of prepared dish spread about ¼ of the filling. Spoon ½ of the strawberry mixture over the filling. Top with single layer of pound cake bites.
- Then repeat: spread ½ of the filling mixture over the cake pieces, spread remaining strawberry mixture, top with pound cake pieces and finish with remaining ¼ of the filling.
- Place in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.
- Before serving, invert the cake onto serving plate, remove the plastic wrap and top the cake with strawberry topping (or strawberry jam) and garnish with fresh strawberries.