If you’re pecan pie or coffee cake lover you will totally head over heels for this absolutely irresistible combination of sweet and gooey pecan pie filling baked right on top of moist and tender coffee cake. This decadent, melt-in-your-mouth Pecan Pie Coffee Cake would be perfect Thanksgiving or Christmas dessert.
I have a weakness for coffee cakes! I’m not a morning person and I usually pass the breakfast but when I have a coffee cake sitting in my fridge I gladly jump out of bed, grab a slice and crawl back under the blanket. Coffee Cake is totally acceptable breakfast!!!
A big slice of this delicious Pecan Pie Coffee Cake, maybe some tasty Magic Custard Cake and a cup of coffee are perfect way to make this cold and rainy days more comfortable.
After my very popular Cinnamon Apple Crumb Cake from the last year, I recently made a pumpkin version. Somehow , when fall baking season starts I’m totally obsessed with coffee cakes. After apples and pumpkin, pecans are perfect flavor for fall dessert.
I used my Pecan Pie Cheesecake as an inspiration for this Pecan Pie Coffee Cake.
Although I’m a huge fan of crumbs on every coffee cake I thought it would be great to top the coffee cake with gooey and sweet pecan pie filling instead the usual crumbs.
Moist cake with tender crumbs and delicious pecan pie filling packed into one dessert… WOW, I loved the idea! Pecan Pie Coffee Cake has it all!
The cake layer is my all-time favorite sour cream coffee cake recipe, I have already used for my Strawberry Cheesecake Coffee Cake and Raspberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake . It’s my go-to coffee cake recipe! I like it so much because it makes super soft cake with tender crumbs. For this Pecan Pie Coffee Cake I used plain Greek Yogurt instead of sour cream, and it worked great.
The cake was really moist on its own, and when it soaked some of sweet and gooey pecan pie topping it became the best coffee cake I’ve ever tried.
This decadent, melt-in-your-mouth Pecan Pie Coffee Cake would be perfect Thanksgiving or Christmas dessert.
For Coffee Cake:
- 1 and 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter-softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg white
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla
For Pecan Pie Topping:
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Dash of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 egg and 1 egg yolk- lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and lightly flour 9 x 2 inch round cake pan.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
- In a bowl beat the butter until smooth and creamy. Add sugar and beat on high speed until creamed together well.
- Add egg and egg white and mix to combine.
- Then, add vanilla and Greek yogurt and mix to combine.
- Finally, add flour mixture and mix on low speed just to combine (batter should be thick and smooth).
- Spread the batter in prepared pan and bake on 350 F for 30-35 minutes (until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean). Remove the cake from the oven and REDUCE THE TEMPERATURE TO 325 F!!!
- To make the topping, in a sauce pan stir together corn syrup, brown sugar and butter and heat on low heat until the butter has melted (or microwave for 1 minute). Remove from heat and stir in chopped pecans, vanilla, lightly beaten eggs and dash of salt.
- Using a wooden skewer poke the holes in the cake.
- Pour the topping onto the cake and place back in the oven and bake 10 minutes at 325 F. Cool completely before serving.