If you’re a pie or coffee cake lover, you will totally fall head over heels for this; an absolutely irresistible combination of sweet and gooey pecan pie filling, baked right on top of moist and tender coffee cake! This decadent, melt-in-your-mouth Pecan Pie Coffee Cake recipe would be perfect for a Thanksgiving or Christmas dessert.
For Coffee Cake:
- 1 and 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter-softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg white
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla
For Pecan Pie Topping:
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Dash of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 egg and 1 egg yolk- lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and lightly flour 9 x 2 inch round cake pan.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
- In a bowl beat the butter until smooth and creamy. Add sugar and beat on high speed until creamed together well.
- Add egg and egg white and mix to combine.
- Then, add vanilla and Greek yogurt and mix to combine.
- Finally, add flour mixture and mix on low speed just to combine (batter should be thick and smooth).
- Spread the batter in prepared pan and bake on 350 F for 30-35 minutes (until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean). Remove the cake from the oven and REDUCE THE TEMPERATURE TO 325 F!!!
- To make the topping, in a sauce pan stir together corn syrup, brown sugar and butter and heat on low heat until the butter has melted (or microwave for 1 minute). Remove from heat and stir in chopped pecans, vanilla, lightly beaten eggs and dash of salt.
- Using a wooden skewer poke the holes in the cake.
- Pour the topping onto the cake and place back in the oven and bake 10 minutes at 325 F. Cool completely before serving.