If you are looking for a QUICK and EASY CAKE RECIPE with just few simple ingredients, this Easy Banana Magic Cake is perfect sweet treat.
However, this easy Banana Cake is not called ‘MAGIC’ for nothing! When you mix together eggs, sugar, flour, butter, milk and mashed banana, pour the batter in the baking dish and place in the oven, the real magic starts!
While baking in the oven this mixture will separate and form three layers. Yes, you understand well. You will make one batter and get a quick, easy and delicious 3-layer cake.
I’ve already shared other magic custard cake recipes here on my blog. This time I wanted to try a new flavor for my magic cake.
After my Skinny Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins and Banana Upside Down Cake I’m a little obsessed with quick and easy banana recipes. Also I shared too many healthy and easy breakfast and dinner recipes, lately. Therefore it was time for delicious DESSERT RECIPE!
Let’s get back to this Easy Banana Magic Cake. With my last magic cake recipes, I noticed that many of you have had some concerns about the preparation. Therefore I’ll make a few notes this time, just to make things clear.
HOW TO MAKE PERFECT MAGIC CAKE:
Let’s start with the eggs. You should separate egg whites carefully, making sure that no part of the yolk fall into the egg whites. Then beat the egg whites until VERY STIFF peaks form. They should be fluffy like a cloud. Egg whites will raise on the surface of the batter when you pour it in the pan and form top layer.
Many of you asked, since the batter is thin, is that correct?! Yes, it is. The batter for magic cake is REALLY THIN! The recipe uses melted butter and a lot of milk and very little flour. That way you will get center, custard like layer. It also allows the egg whites mixture to raise on top of the batter and make the sponge.
Very important thing also is to be careful when folding beaten egg whites into the rest of the mixture. You should do this really gently using a rubber spatula. You don’t want to completely dissolve the egg white foam. It should combine with the rest of the mixture, but it’s OK to have a pea size lumps of the foam, evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
Also I got a lot of questions, about the filling. Looking at the photo of this cake people assume that the cake has filling and there’s no filling mentioned in the recipe. Well, that’s the magic of this cake. There’s no filling or crusts that should make separately. This ONE MIXTURE will provide both, crust and the filling.
Still don’t believe in magic?!
Try and see for yourself!
Banana Magic Cake Recipe Instruction
If you are looking for a QUICK and EASY CAKE RECIPE with just few simple ingredients, this easy Banana Magic Cake is perfect sweet treat.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter-melted and slightly cooled
- 2 cups milk-lukewarm
- 4 eggs-separated
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- ½ cup mashed banana (1 medium banana)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly grease 8×8 inch baking dish, set aside (you can line it with parchment paper leaving the sides overhang the pan, it will be easier to serve, you can lift the cake and transfer plate).
- Whip the egg whites until STIFF peaks form, set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks and sugars until pale yellow.
- Mix in melted butter and the tablespoon of water (for about 2 minutes) until evenly combined.
- Mix in mashed banana just to combine.
- Mix in flour until evenly incorporated.
- Slowly beat in the milk and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Fold in the egg whites (1/3 at a time, then repeat until all of the egg whites are folded in). NOTES: The batter is very, very thin!!!
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 45-60 minutes (until the cake is barely jiggly in the center). Baking time might vary depending on your oven or pan you use, but start checking after 45 minutes. If the top browns quickly before the minimum of 45 minutes, you can cover the cake with aluminum foil.
- Cool the cake completely before dusting with powdered sugar. Even cooled, it will be slightly jiggly because it has custard layer in the center!