Are you ready for fall baking? Cinnamon Apple Crumb Cake is the perfect dessert for crisp weather coming up, just like this magic custard cake. But, if you are not a big fan of pumpkin treat, then you must try this coffee cake loaded with apples and crunchy brown sugar-cinnamon streusel crumbs, drizzled with apple cider glaze.
Being a food blogger is not such a simple thing as many of my friends think it is. This time I’m not talking about the usual problems that happen in the kitchen like an unsuccessful frosting of a perfectly backed cupcake or the filling is thin for the 1000. time even though you did everything by the book.
But I’m talking about is the reputation that doesn’t allow you any mistakes. And my friends, sitting with a dessert, usually say “Oh, Vera, this is simply fantastic! And you always succeed in everything you try. But I could never do that, and so it’s better that I come to your place for a sweet bite like this”
A few days ago, answering the phone, I heard my best friend: “Vera, when do you have time for me? I have something very important to tell you! I’ll be there in a few hours. And please, make one of your sweet desserts so we could eat something sweet while talking”. And – click, that was it.
If I had the phone number, I would surely have called Superman because I knew what was coming to me! First, searching on Pinterest. Cheesecake, Cupcakes, Cookies?Nooo, maybe this quick Poke Cake? Hmmm these Apple Muffins look fantastic, too. After an “easy” 45 minutes, the decision was made – Cinnamon Apple Crumb Cake!
And even though it all looks so simple, there are a few completely logical questions: “Have I used all the apples on Apple Cookies?”. Of course, then I had to spend 30 minutes in the shop for buying a few apples. After two hours, luckily without any new problems, Apple Crumb Cake began to spread it’s smell through my home, and I remembered my blog.
Well, it wouldn’t be bad to make a photo of this beautiful coffee cake. And of course, as is common in situations like this, the display was showing the (in)famous message “Change the battery”. 30 more minutes for charging the battery and as soon as the photo session was over, I got the SMS “I’m coming in 20 minutes”. Just enough for washing the dishes, too.
And so, 30 minutes later, talking about the newest gossip and enjoying the Cinnamon Apple Crumb Cake, came the usual “Vera, you really are a genius. Only you can make such a sweet cake without any problems. You have to give me the secret one day”.
“Well, it’s really nothing, my dear. You can do it. All you need is a little good will and things are done by themselves!” 🙂
Are you ready for fall baking? Cinnamon Apple Crumb Cake is the perfect dessert for crisp weather coming up.
For cinnamon streusel crumb:
- 1 and 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter -melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large (or 2 small) tart apples-peeled and chopped
For the cake:
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Apple cider glaze:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 and 1/2 – 2 Tablespoons apple cider
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease 8 inch springform pan and line the bottom with parchment paper, set aside.
- To make cinnamon streusel crumb, first in a bowl, whisk together dry ingredient. Then add melted butter and vanilla and stir until the mixture is evenly moist, set aside, too.
- To make the cake in a large bowl, cream together 4 tbsp butter with 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy, then add egg and beat well. Finally, add vanilla and sour cream and beat again.
- In another bowl, stir together 1 cup flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder and add to the butter mixture, stir until just combined.
- Spread half the batter at the bottom of the pan ( it will be very thin layer). Spread the apple chunks evenly over the batter, then sprinkle about 1 cup of the cinnamon streusel crumbs over the apples. Spread the remaining batter over the crumbs and on top spread the rest of the cinnamon streusel.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Before remove the ring of springform pan run a thin knife around the cake.
- To make the glaze, whisk together powdered sugar with apple cider and drizzle over the cake.
Adapted from neighborfoodblog.com