Chocolate Poke Cake is quadruple chocolate treat-rich chocolate cake infused with delicious mixture of melted chocolate and sweetened condensed milk, topped with chocolate whipped cream and chocolate chips. If you are chocolate lover, check this decadent Flourless Chocolate Cake, too!
Although all of us food bloggers are gasping for air watching the fantastic photos of decadent layered cakes, sometimes it is really necessary to have such a cake on your table in a very short time. If you have ever been in a situation like that, there is no better solution then a quick, but a very delicious poke cake. Your guests will enjoy the slices of the cake, and you won’t have to spend hours and hours in the kitchen.
And so, you may think that I’m a master in making poke cakes because I’m telling you all this, but the truth is that I just recently came to the conclusion that from about 100 recipes on my blog, none of them are for this very popular cake. The reason is not because I’m not used to making poke cake, but because I often make it for guests at the last minute and they eat it almost to the last piece, so there is rarely anything to take a picture of and post on the blog 🙂
Since the decision of what to bake is made, the only thing left is to choose a taste, since you can make poke cake with any flavor you want. But, as it should be with a blog that has the word “chocolate desserts” in it’s name, then it was a “no brainer” to make the first cake of this kind a Chocolate Poke Cake.
Maybe you are expecting a big story now, but everything about poke cake is so simple that after a few sentences, you will already be able to begin baking! As a cake base, there is the moist chocolate cake, poked, filled with chocolate and sweetened condensed milk filling. Since the cake I’m making today is extremely chocolaty, the whipped cream is mixed with cocoa,too and for the complete chocolate enjoyment, in the end, there are chocolate chips, and many of them.
Maybe you will think that I have gone too far with them, but the chocolate chips do not just complete the taste of the cake, but they also give a great crunchy texture to the moist, creamy cake.
And what else to say? No sooner than clapping your hands, there is the Chocolate Poke Cake smiling from the table and if you ever thought that a quick cake can’t be delicious, one bite will change your opinion. But, caution! If you are a food blogger, first take photos, then eat 🙂
Chocolate Poke Cake is quadruple chocolate treat-rich chocolate cake infused with delicious mixture of melted chocolate and sweetened condensed milk, topped with chocolate whipped cream and chocolate chips.
For Chocolate Cake:
- 1 and 3/4 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup brewed coffee (or 1 cup boiling water if you don’t like coffee in the cake)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For Chocolate Filling:
- 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup semi -sweet chocolate chips
For Chocolate Whipped Cream Topping:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 taespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9×13 inch baking dish and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt).
- Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, add coffee (or boiling water) and mix to combine (the batter will look runny). Pour it in the baking dish and smooth the top. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, (until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean).If the cake rise too much in the center and crack, you can press it gently with your palms, when it’s slightly cooled,just to smooth the top.
- With a wooden spoon poke holes all over the top of the cake and set aside.
- Place chocolate chips in a heatproof bowl and set aside. In a saucepan bring sweetened condensed milk to a boil and pour it over chocolate chips. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour chocolate mixture over the cake and spread to fill in holes.
- Set aside to cool (about an hour) then refrigerate until completely cooled.
- To make the topping, mix heavy cream until soft peaks form, add powdered sugar, cocoa and vanilla extract and continue mixing until stiff peaks form. Spread it onto cooled cake and sprinkle with mini chocolate chips. Store in the fridge.
Filling and topping recipe adapted from: www.lifeloveandsugar.com