Vegan Lemon Custard Slice is delicious combo of creamy lemon custard sandwiched between two layers of flaky pastry. Easy lemon dessert is the perfect choice for summer treat! It’s so light and refreshing, but it will also satisfy your sweet tooth! If you like custard desserts, then you should check my Vanilla Magic Custard Cake and Easy Banana Magic Cake, too. These two cakes are not vegan desserts, but they are melt-in-your-mouth-good.
Vegan Lemon Custard Slice
This easy lemon dessert with silky smooth custard and crisp puff pastry is totally delicious and rather easy to make. If you are true lemon lover, then you should definitely try Vegan Lemon Custard Slice recipe.
However, I’m a huge fan of custard desserts. Although I usually make custards with eggs and milk, I wanted to try something new this time. Even I’m not vegan, this time I choose vegan recipe.
I wondered if the custard would be equally creamy and delicious without eggs, regular milk and butter. But guess what!? This vegan custard turned out even more tasty, than usual.
Vegan lemon custard slice is so light and creamy, but also very easy to make.
How to Make Vegan Lemon Custard Slice
This easy lemon dessert recipe uses only a few ingredients. To make the custard you’ll need ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice and grated zest from 1 lemon. Instead regular milk this recipe use coconut milk and for thickening use corn starch. I replaced butter with coconut oil, and use rice malt syrup as healthier sweetener, too. But, if you want to color your custard in pale yellow, you can add just a small pinch of turmeric powder. You won’t taste the turmeric, don’t worry!
First, prepare the puff pastry. Bake each sheet of puff pastry on a baking sheet topped with another tray or baking sheet to prevent the pastry from rising too much. When its baked, cut down the pastry sheet to the size of the square pan you use. Place one square of pastry on the bottom of the pan and set aside. Then prepare the lemon custard.
To make the custard, first whisk corn starch and lemon juice until no lumps remain. Then add remaining ingredients and cook over medium high heat stirring with a rubber spatula. When the custard starts thickening on the bottom, turn the heat to low and cook until it gets custard consistency. Pour the custard over the pastry bottom and top with another square of the pastry. Cool at room temperature for 15-20 minutes, then place in the fridge to cool completely, for 3-4 hours.
When the custard is cooled and firm, lift it from the pan and use serrated knife to cut into squares or rectangles. You can dust each slice with powdered sugar if desired.
Try this easy lemon dessert recipe this summer and enjoy!
[pinterest-image message=”Vegan Lemon Custard Slice is delicious combo of creamy lemon custard sandwiched between two layers of flaky pastry. Easy lemon dessert is the perfect choice for summer treat! #vegan #vegandesserts #custardcake #lemoncake” image=”https://omgchocolatedesserts.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Vegan-Lemon-Custard-Slice-collage.jpg”]Print
Vegan Lemon Custard Slice is delicious combo of creamy lemon custard sandwiched between two layers of flaky pastry.
- 2 sheets vegan puff pastry
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup corn starch
- Grated zest from 1 lemon
- 1 2/3 cups full fat coconut milk (1 can –13.5 fl.oz. or 400 ml)
- ½ cup + 2 Tablespoons cup rice malt syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoon coconut oil
- pinch of turmeric powder -optional (for color)
- powdered sugar – for sprinkling on top
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Unroll one piece of pastry on each baking sheet, place another piece of baking paper on top of the pastry and top with another tray to ensure that the pastry won’t rise too much. You can do this one at a time. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes (according to package direction) until golden and crispy. Cool completely and cut each piece down to the size of 8 x 8-inches square pan.
- Line the 8 x 8-inches square pan with baking paper leaving large overhand the sides to be able to lift from the pan when it’s set. Place one 8 x 8 inches piece of pastry on the bottom of the pan and set aside.
- In a saucepan place freshly squeezed lemon juice and corn starch, then whisk well until completely dissolved.
- Then add remaining ingredients: lemon zest, coconut milk, coconut oil, rice malt syrup and vanilla and whisk well. Cook over medium-high heat stirring regularly, until it starts thickening. Turn down the heat to low and stirring constantly cook until it reaches thick custard consistency. It should be done in 8-10 minutes.
- Pour the custard onto the pastry base and top with the other square of pastry. Cool for 10-15 minutes then refrigerating for at least 3-4 hours.
- When ready to serve, pull the paper and transfer the custard onto cutting board. Use serrated knife to cut into slices. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.