Vegan Lemon Custard Slice is delicious combo of creamy lemon custard sandwiched between two layers of flaky pastry.
- 2 sheets vegan puff pastry
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup corn starch
- Grated zest from 1 lemon
- 1 2/3 cups full fat coconut milk (1 can –13.5 fl.oz. or 400 ml)
- ½ cup + 2 Tablespoons cup rice malt syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoon coconut oil
- pinch of turmeric powder -optional (for color)
- powdered sugar – for sprinkling on top
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Unroll one piece of pastry on each baking sheet, place another piece of baking paper on top of the pastry and top with another tray to ensure that the pastry won’t rise too much. You can do this one at a time. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes (according to package direction) until golden and crispy. Cool completely and cut each piece down to the size of 8 x 8-inches square pan.
- Line the 8 x 8-inches square pan with baking paper leaving large overhand the sides to be able to lift from the pan when it’s set. Place one 8 x 8 inches piece of pastry on the bottom of the pan and set aside.
- In a saucepan place freshly squeezed lemon juice and corn starch, then whisk well until completely dissolved.
- Then add remaining ingredients: lemon zest, coconut milk, coconut oil, rice malt syrup and vanilla and whisk well. Cook over medium-high heat stirring regularly, until it starts thickening. Turn down the heat to low and stirring constantly cook until it reaches thick custard consistency. It should be done in 8-10 minutes.
- Pour the custard onto the pastry base and top with the other square of pastry. Cool for 10-15 minutes then refrigerating for at least 3-4 hours.
- When ready to serve, pull the paper and transfer the custard onto cutting board. Use serrated knife to cut into slices. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.