Chicken Parmesan Casserole served with pasta is quick, HEALTHY and EASY WEEKNIGHT DINNER for whole family. It’s SIMPLE, FREEZER FRIENDLY RECIPE and great idea how to use up leftover chicken. Cheesy, baked parmesan chicken casserole with marinara sauce and bread crumbs is delicious comfort food but healthy meal for your family, too. Also check this delicious Chicken Alfredo Bake , Easy Crockpot Teriyaki Chicken and Crispy Baked Parmesan Chicken!
Chicken Parmesan Casserole
You can serve this yummy Chicken Parmesan Casserole with spaghetti or your favorite pasta. If you are on a diet and watch the carbs, just skip the pasta. It’s totally delicious on its own.
If you’re looking for healthy freezer meal recipe to make ahead this is the one. Try it and you will have real homemade food to serve your family on a weeknight.
The recipe is really simple and easy and you probably have most of the ingredients on hand.
What is more you can use up leftovers of cooked or baked chicken. But if you don’t have chicken leftovers, just grill boneless chicken breast in the pan and then continue with this recipe. Actually, It will take 15-20 mins more of your time, but still you can finish the whole meal in less than one hour.
If you already have chopped cooked chicken the rest of this easy dinner recipe is really quick and simple. In fact you can make it and serve fresh meal on any weeknight without the freezing in advance.
Baked Parmesan chicken sounds delicious. Your family probably like when you serve it as a main dish for dinner. But making breaded chicken with parmesan can be quite time consuming, especially if you have a huge family.
You can turn baked parmesan chicken into easy casserole dish and it will taste just as good, too. Simply stir chopped chicken with marinara sauce, sprinkle grated parmesan, mozzarella and seasoned bread crumbs on top and bake.
Whether you serve this Chicken Parmesan Casserole with pasta or on its own, no matter if you make this in advance as a freezer meal or eat it freshly baked, I’m sure your family would totally like to eat this dish for dinner any way.
More healthy and easy chicken recipes:
Chicken Alfredo Bake is EASY WEEKNIGHT DINNER CASSEROLE version of family favorite Chicken Alfredo. Cheesy, white sauce chicken Parmesan pasta is delicious, warm comfort food for cold winter nights!
Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Breast Recipe is an easy and delicious dish to make but packed with such an amazing flavor.
Healthy Chicken, Cucumber, Tomato and Avocado Salad is QUICK and EASY RECIPE for lunch, family dinner or party food for a crowd.
Chicken Parmesan Casserole recipe:Print
Chicken Parmesan Casserole served with pasta is quick, HEALTHY and EASY WEEKNIGHT DINNER for whole family.
- 1.5 lb. cooked chicken- diced (if you don’t have cooked chicken simply grill almost 2 lb. thawed boneless chicken breast in the pan, season with salt and pepper to taste)
- 1 jar (28 ounces) of marinara sauce
- 1 ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ –2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs (if use finer bread crumbs, not flacked kind like Panco, I suggest you to use just ¾ cup or the top will be too sandy)
- Italian seasoned salt-to taste
- 1 ½ –2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 F and grease 8 ½ x 8 ½ inch casserole with olive oil or spray with cooking spray.
- Place chopped cooked chicken in baking dish and pour marinara sauce over the chicken, stir to combine.
- Spread shredded mozzarella cheese on top to cover the chicken. Sprinkle with grated parmesan.
- In a bowl stir together bread crumbs and Italian seasoned salt. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and stir well. If it seems to dry and the crumbs are not evenly moistened add more olive oil and stir to combine. It depends on the texture of bread crumbs you us. Finer crumbs will seem to dry and need more oil, flacked crumbs like Panko need less oil.
- Sprinkle bread crumb mixture over the cheese and bake 20-25 minutes until bread crumbs get nice golden color.
- Sprinkle freshly chopped parsley before serving if desired.
- If you want to make this ahead and freeze for later DO NOT BAKE, just cover the casserole and place in the freezer. Thaw completely before baking.
Recipe adapted from Thriving Home!