OMG Chocolate Chocolate Cake is a moist and fudgey chocolate cake recipe, with rich and creamy, double-chocolate cream cheese buttercream frosting. For all of the chocolate cravers out there, this cake was made for you!
Homemade Triple Layer Chocolate Cake Recipe
Have you ever tried Chocolate Chocolate Cake? No? Oh, what a mistake! Please, find a way to get a slice of this chocolate heaven as soon as you can! Maybe I will sound a little arrogant, but I can tell you that this is the most delicious cake I ever made and tried. OK, OK, I know that I may be a little over the line, but I’m sure it will be on my table quite often.
The whole story started on my birthday, which is, believe it or not, on Halloween day! My husband does not miss the chance to make the joke that he is married to a witch (of course J ). Well, OK, but every Halloween, he gets at least one slice of a very delicious cake, so from “ a witch”, I very quickly become “a saint”. When he tried this cake, it happened again.
Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
By the way, a few days before my b-day and Halloween, I checked out countless posts on my favorite food blogs looking for inspiration for a birthday cake. I was full of all kinds of ideas. Marshmallow, candy corn variations, Halloween cupcakes and my bookmarks were slowly getting full of recipes, but no real solution! And then, the enlightening! “Hershey’s” chocolate website and the “Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate cake”! Just how many times have I seen this recipe and admired the beauty of this fantastic chocolate cake? Well, there’s a first time for everything.
And so, with a lot of will and strictly following the instructions, with only a little adaptation, there it was, a beautiful chocolate cake on my table! “OMG, OMG”, I was mumbling in excitement and admiration of my cake! I just needed to judge the taste, and that honor fell to my guests at my humble birthday party. Of course, before all of that, I had to stop my husband from “attacking” the cake a few times. I’m happy to inform you that the cake survived unharmed 🙂
After a chat with my friends at the party, it was time for desert! I cut the cake, served it to my friends and got ready for comments. And they started coming: “OMG, Vera. This is so tasty”, “OMG, gorgeous”! “Vera, you are a genius”. So, I began to rise, just as my cake did with three layers and two rows of chocolate filling J And when I tried it myself, it was really the most delicious of all the deserts I presented on this blog. I said the now infamous “OMG” myself. And so, after a few OMG-s, the cake got its name! Of course, OMG Chocolate Chocolate Cake.
OMG Chocolate Chocolate Cake is a moist and fudgey chocolate cake recipe, with rich and creamy, double chocolate cream cheese buttercream frosting. For all of the chocolate cravers out there, this cake was made for you!
For chocolate cake:
- 1 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1 cup boiling water
For chocolate frosting:
- 1 pound finally chopped semisweet chocolate
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons boiling water
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
To make the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour three 8 inch round baking pans.
- In a large bowl stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla and mix on medium speed 2 minutes.
- Dissolve coffee in boiling water and stir in the batter (the batter will be thin).
- Divide batter into 3 prepared pans and bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in the pans, than remove from pans to wire racks and cool completely.
To make the frosting:
- Add cocoa in boiling water and stir to combine and remove any lumps, set aside to cool.
- Melt the chocolate and set aside to cool to room temperature ( it take about 30 minutes)
- Beat the butter and powdered sugar until it’s light and fluffy
- Combine cream cheese with the cocoa.
- In the light and fluffy beaten butter and sugar mixture add cooled melted chocolate and continue beating until it’s evenly combine.
- Then add the cream cheese and cocoa mixture and beat well.
- Frost the cake.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings (optional) and set in a fridge for a few hours before serving.