How about starting your day with Nutella French Toast Roll Ups? I say this is a perfect start, but not because I’m a big fan of Nutella French Toast Roll Ups, but because my husband prepared this yummy breakfast for me and my son Marco. I know, you probably won’t believe me, but I pinched myself a few times to check and really, it was not a dream 🙂
Even if the probability of my husband preparing a meal is really low, this morning, I woke up to the smell of toasted bread and cinnamon!
You must be wondering what the hell happened that Darko, a very busy web designer, found his way to the kitchen? I’m not completely sure that a pause in his latest project had something to do with this and made him get up from his computer and go to the kitchen. Anyway, Darko decided to go head to head with the complex task of making Nutella French Toast Roll Ups. Maybe it looks simple, but believe me, if you want this breakfast to be perfect, you need a lot of effort and patience, but my husband understood that.
“I thought this would be much easier”, he said as he sat in the chair visibly tired after a hour of “hard labour”. After beginning with great enthusiasm, he was quickly shaken up with some unpredictable situations on this difficult task. First he saw that things would not go so easy with the bread which was not really fresh. So, he had to go to the market and bye some fresh bread. The second disappontment came when a few rolles uncoiled while he was baking them on fresh butter, which tainted the beautiful yellow color and made the roll ups a little darker. And finally, a few of these things were a little burned!
After all, when I tried Darko’s imperfect Nutella French Toast Roll Ups, for me, they were perfect. The only thing that made a bad impression was the mess Darko left behind in the kitchen. Of course, he expected me to clean It up 🙂
- 10 slices of toast or other soft thin white bread
- 2-3 eggs
- 2 tbs milk
- 1-2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- Remove the hard ends of the bread so you get squares made out of the soft parts only
- Roll out each slice with rolling pin until it’s thin
- Spread the bread with Nutella, but not quite to the edge of the bread
- Roll up each slice
- In a bowl whisk the egg and the milk
- In another bowl mix the sugar and cinnamon
- In a frying pan heat the butter
- Soak each roll into the egg/milk mixture and then fry it from each side until it is golden brown.
- When fried, remove the rolls from the pan and roll them in the sugar and cinnamon so they are well coated from each site
- Serve right away