Decadent Nutella Chocolate Cake – moist, rich and super chocolaty cake frosted with rich and buttery Nutella frosting .
A few days ago it was my mom’s birthday and as always, when it comes to celebrations in my family, desserts are my responsibility of course. The birthday girl didn’t want to choose to much, the only demand was for the cake to be with chocolate.
Even though everyone in my family loves my OMG Chocolate Chocolate Cake, I don’t want to repeat myself too much, so I decided to make a little change. I baked the cake by my good old recipe which had never failed, but I wanted to try a new frosting. After a search through the internet, I chose “Best Ever Nutella Layer Cake” by Sweetepolita. That frosting looks really magical, silky, shiny and already at first site, you can see that it’s very tasty. It’s the best possible dessert for a special occasion like a birthday.
According to the original recipe all ingredients for the frosting are placed in a food processor and pulse until smooth and glossy, about 1 minute and the frosting should be very soft. Well, since I always have to change something, first I went the „classic route“ and beat up the butter and sugar with a mixer, and then added the rest of the ingredients. Since I didn’t have dark chocolate, I put semi sweet baking chocolate, and in the end, my frosting was nothing like the one in the picture. I was so disappointed. Well, that’s what I deserve when I always have to experiment something! My frosting came out really dense instead of airy and shiny. But, everyone makes mistakes. Next time, I will try to stick by the recipe and I’m sure everything will come out just fine.
Just to avoid a misunderstanding, for the guests, my Nutella Chocolate Cake was absolutely delicious. Mom was satisfied, many of the guests wanted another piece and some of mom’s friends even asked for the recipe. It looks as if I’m my own harshest critic.
- [b]For the cake:[/b]
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- [b]For Chocolate Nutella Frosting:[/b]
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 ½ cup unsalted butter-room temperature
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup Nutella
- 11 oz semisweet baking chocolate-melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease three 8 inch round baking pans and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla and mix on medium speed 2 minutes.
- Add boiling water and mix until it’s smooth.
- Divide batter into 3 prepared pans and bake 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out almost clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in the pans, than remove from pans to wire racks upside down (this flattens domed cakes) and cool completely.
- To make the frosting melt 11 oz chocolate and let it cool to a room temperature.
- Beat the butter and sugar until it’s light and fluffy, then add chocolate, nutella, vanilla and salt and mix well.
- Add sour cream and mix it well to combine evenly.
- To assemble the cake place a dollop of frosting on the plate, then place the first layer and spread about 1 ½ of frosting over the cake,. Repeat the process with the other two layer and cover the cake with frosting. Garnish with chocolate sprinkles. Store in the fridge.