Since I started to amuse myself with my chocolate blog, I’ve almost forgotten one of my favorite sweet treat – cupcakes! From the first time I took these small cakes made of sweet batter out of the oven and frosted them, this gorgeous dessert has become one of my absolute favorites! But, as it is always the case, in my house there is usually someone with a sweet tooth whose wishes need to be granted first, thus it often happens that some really great things like cupcakes are neglected.
Yesterday I finally decided to say “No” to everybody and make a sweet dessert for myself only! As you can guess, I decided on cupcakes. The only dilemma I had was which recipe to choose! It goes without saying that I had to take my gourmands into consideration, so I decided to add my son’s favorite spread, Nutella, to my frosting. My final decision was Nutella Chocolate Cupcakes.
As it is usually happens when you are doing something for your own pleasure, the things were going very smoothly. The cupcakes looked so good that the very next moment the number of cupcakes was reduced by one. Yummy! The cake was so moist and tasty that you could easily eat them without the frosting! And then came the delicious buttercream frosting with Nutella. Once again, yummy! I dipped my finger in the frosting so many times that I was actually afraid that there won’t be enough left for the cupcakes!
Finally, when I finished frosting the cakes and putting them in small red cups, my gorgeous Nutella Chocolate Cupcakes stood on the table smiling proudly. Suddenly my husband and son started to move around attacking my divine cupcakes, even though I still didn’t get the chance to photograph them for my new blog post! Sure there was struggle, but at the end we reached a compromise. I would have to give up on two of my sweet cupcakes and they would have to wait a bit longer for the next round while I finish photographing. Fair enough 🙂
- Dry ingredients:
- 1 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅜ cup cocoa powder
- Wet ingredients:
- ½ cups vegetable oil
- ½ cup buttermilk ( if you don’t have buttermilk you can use milk instead , just add 1 teaspoon of white vinegar into 1 cup of milk and set aside for 5 minutes before using)
- 1 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup boiling water
- 4oz cream cheese
- ½ cup ( 1 stick) butter softened
- ½ cup Nutella
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cup (or more) powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, and line your cupcake pans with liners.
- In a large bowl mixed together dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder)
- Add wet ingredients (oil, buttermilk, eggs, vanilla extract) and mix on medium speed about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in boiling water and mixed well.
- Fill cupcake liners about ⅔ full.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean (it takes about 15-20 minutes)
- Let the cupcakes to cool completely
- To make the frosting, mix the butter and cream cheese until it’s fluffy.
- Add Nutella and vanilla and mix well.
- Add powdered sugar and mix on high speed until it become smooth
- Pipe on the cooled cupcakes.