Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe with marshmallows and pecan streusel topping is family favorite Thanksgiving side dish. Delicious sweet potato casserole should be on your dinner table for holiday, too. This easy recipe with mashed sweet potato, marshmallows and brown sugar pecan streusel makes yummy side dish for Thanksgiving dinner.
Thanksgiving is just around the corner. If you are hosting Thanksgiving dinner at your home, I’m sure you are already collecting recipes for delicious meals to make.
And this Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe should be on your To-Do list. Why?
I’ll give you a few very good reasons to make this potato casserole:
In first place, classic Sweet Potato Casserole is traditional Thanksgiving side dish. I can’t imagine my Thanksgiving dinner table without sweet potato. And my favorite is mashed potato casserole with marshmallow topping.
To tell the truth, I prefer combination of traditional marshmallow topping and cinnamon, brown sugar, pecan streusel. Brown sugar pecan streusel adds that extra crunchiness and compliment smooth and creamy base made of mashed sweet potato, too.
Besides the fact that taste delicious, this Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe is very simple, quick and easy to make.
Thanksgiving dinner and spending some quality time with your family and loved ones is great. But finishing all preparation on time and making everything the same day is very exhausting.
Although, you’ll need just an hour to make Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe, this is just a side dish. But you’ll have plenty things to do for Thanksgiving dinner.
However, you’ll have the main dish to make, then salads, desserts… Anyway, you can prepare mashed sweet potato mixture and pecan streusel topping ahead.
Make Ahead Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe Tips:
The best thing about this recipe, besides deliciousness, is that it can be made the day or two ahead.
Cook the potatoes and mix it with other ingredients, spread in greased casserole, cool, wrap tightly and store in the fridge. Do not put the topping yet!
Make brown sugar pecan streusel, cover and refrigerate, too. (Do not sprinkle over potato mixture).
When dinnertime comes, bring streusel topping and sweet potato to a room temperature. Do not assemble yet. First heat sweet potato in the oven until heated all the way through (about half an hour). Then sprinkle marshmallows and streusel, then bake until the marshmallows are toasted and streusel gets nice golden brown color.
How to Make Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe:Print
Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe with marshmallows and pecan streusel topping is family favorite Thanksgiving side dish. This easy recipe with mashed sweet potato, marshmallows and brown sugar pecan streusel makes yummy side dish for Thanksgiving dinner.
- 3 lb. raw sweet potato
- 3 Tbsp. salted butter-softened
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ tsp. cinnamon – or more to taste
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- ¼ cup milk
- For Topping:
- About 2 cups mini marshmallows
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup flour
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 3 Tbsp. salted butter-melted and slightly cooled
- Spray 2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1 inch cubes, then place in a pot with cold water, cover and bring to a boil, reduce the heat and cook until fork tender (about 15 minutes).
- While the potatoes are cooking preheat the oven to 350 F and prepare streusel topping. Stir together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and chopped pecans. Add melted butter and whisk with a fork until evenly moistened and crumbly. Set aside.
- Drain the sweet potatoes and cool for a few minutes. Place cooked potatoes into a large mixing bowl and add remaining ingredients (butter, sugar, vanilla, spices and milk). Mix until combined.
- Spread the mixture into prepared baking dish, smooth the top. Sprinkle about 1-1 ½ cups marshmallows, then sprinkle streusel topping and remaining marshmallows.
- Bake at 350 F about 20 minutes or until marshmallows are toasted and streusel gets nice golden color.