This German Chocolate Cheesecake is insanely decadent chocolate cheesecake with crunchy Oreo crust and gooey coconut pecan topping. It’s so delicious! Bursting with chocolate flavor, smooth as silk, rich chocolate cheesecake paired with insanely delicious coconut pecan topping is such a treat!
German Chocolate Cheesecake featuring, creamy chocolate cheesecake filling, and coconut and pecan topping is a showstopper! Bonus: You have two delicious desserts packed in an awesome recipe.
This recipe was inspired by my Triple Chocolate Cheesecake recipe and it’s by far one of the tastiest chocolate cheesecakes I’ve shared. And the topping was inspired by my German Chocolate Brownie Pie. Combo of these two made dessert heaven.
How to Make Oreo Crust for Cheesecake
- Ground whole Oreo cookies with the filling n a food processor. If you don’t have a food processor, place Oreo cookies in a zip-lock bag and crush the cookies with a rolling pin. I prefer to use the food processor because you can make the fine crumbs and the crust turned out more compact.
- Next, melt the butter and whisk it into the crumbs until all crumbs are evenly moistened. Press the crumbs into the bottom of a springform pan, using the bottom of a measuring cup to make it flat and smooth.
You don’t need to prebake the crust, just place it in the freezer to firm while preparing the cheesecake filling.
How to Make Chocolate Cheesecake
- Chop the chocolate into small pieces. The finer you chop it, the faster it will melt and become smooth and silky without the chance to burn it. Melt the chocolate over a double boiler or microwave, then set aside while beating the cream cheese.
- Beat softened cream cheese with sugar and vanilla until creamy. Next mix in cocoa powder.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing at low speed, and do not overbeat it.
- Add melted chocolate and mix at low speed to combine.
- Pour the filling over the crust and smooth the top.
- Bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the center has set. Turn off the oven, crack the door and leave the cake in the oven for an additional hour then place it on the counter and cool to room temperature. After that chill in the fridge for 4 hours or preferably overnight.
How to Make Coconut Pecan Toping
Spread coconut and pecans out on a large baking sheet. Place in oven for 10 minutes to toast. Set aside.
In a medium saucepan, bring butter, evaporated milk, sugar, and egg yolks to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes until thicken (almost pudding-like), stirring frequently. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract, coconut and pecans. Set aside and allow to cool completely.
How to Assemble the Cake
After the cake has chilled in the fridge, remove the ring from a springform pan and transfer the cake onto serving plate. Spread the topping almost to the edges and place te cak back on the fridge for additional hour to chill the topping.
Next make the chocolate ganache for decoration. Melt chopped chocolate with 1 teaspoon of coconut oil, stir in 1 Tablespoon of maple syrup. Next whisk in cold heavy cream. Whisk until it’s thick and smooth. Set aside to cool and reach piping consistency.
Transfer the ganache in piping bag with a star tip and make the swirls around the topping.Print
This German Chocolate Cheesecake is insanely decadent chocolate cheesecake with crunchy Oreo crust and gooey coconut pecan topping.
For Oreo Crust:
- 14.3 oz. Oreo Cookies-ground
- 4 oz. unsalted butter-melted
- 2 lb. cream cheese-softened
- 1 and 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoon cocoa powder
- 8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate-melted
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs-slightly beaten with the fork
Coconut Pecan Topping:
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 4 oz. sweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4 cups chopped toasted pecans
Ganache for Swirls:
- 4 oz. chocolate-chopped
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- Line the bottom of the 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper and wrap the pan in heavy-duty aluminum foil and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- Whisk together Oreo crumbs with melted butter, then press the mixture into the bottom and 1 inch up the sides of springform pan. Place in the freezer to firm.
- Melt the chocolate and set it aside.
- Beat softened cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla. Mix in the cocoa and melted chocolate.
- Add eggs and beat just to combine.
- Spread the mixture over the crust and smooth the top. Place in the preheated oven, then place a small pot filled with water under the pan.
- Bake about 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the center has set. Turn off the oven and crack the door open for additional hour, then place the cake on the counter to cool to room temperature, then chill in the fridge for 4 hour.
- When it’s cooled remove the ring from the springform pan and transfer the cake onto the serving plate.
Coconut Pecan Topping:
- In a sauce pan stir together evaporated milk, butter, light brown sugar, and egg yolks. Stirring constantly simmer for 10 minutes until thicken (it should be pudding-like).
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Next, stir in coconut and pecans. Set aside to cool to room temperature, then spread over the chilled cake.
Chocolate Ganache Swirls:
- Melt the chocolate and coconut oil, then stir in maple syrup.
- Whisk in cold heavy cream until smooth and creamy. Then whisk in cocoa powder. Set aside to cool and reach piping consistency.
- Transfer to a piping bag and make the swirls.