After playing around with the season’s fruit and the last recipe with pumpkins, I’m really looking forward to a chocolate break. The only thing is: which chocolate recipe to choose? My chocolate Pinterest board is already full of beautiful recipes which are waiting to be used. But, more and more, I was possessed by one dessert – Chocolate Oatmeal Bars.
I really like their divine look which give a beautiful contrast of chocolate filling between two oatmeal layers. Pure decadence. Only one look at the photo of this beautiful bars on Spicy Sourthern Kitchen and Averie Cooks blogs made the last dilemma disappear. The next thing on my menu were Chocolate Oatmeal Bars.
What was making things even better was that the recipe is very simple to prepare. Only a few simple and common ingredients like oats, flour, sugar and butter were enough for both oatmeal layers, while for the beautiful chocolate layer, I needed chocolate, sugar, butter and eggs. The only thing I left out this time is coffee, which for me, makes the chocolate too bitter in some cases.
And so, after only a solid 40 minutes of baking in the oven, you will have a really fantastic dessert waiting on the table! The only bad thing was that, by the look of things, I went a little too far with the layer of chocolate. It looked to thick to me, but the greedy bites of my degustators (husband, grandpa, grandma) very quickly made me think that it was simply a little mistake. My Chocolate Oatmeal Bars were not even close to making the next day, which is a good indicator that this is a good choice for dessert in any occasion. Just try it and enjoy!!!
For Crust and Topping:
- 1 1/3 cups oatmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter- melted
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and line a 8×8-inch baking pan with aluminum foil and spray the foil with cooking spray ( overhangs the edges of the foil to lift the bars easier from the pan) .
- Combine flour, oats, 11/3 cups light brown sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl, add 101/2 tablespoons melted butter and stir to combine.
- Press half of mixture firmly into the pan and bake about 8 minutes, cool it.
- To make the filling, melt the butter and chocolate chips together and stir until it’s smooth.
- Whisk together flour, sugar and salt in a bowl.
- Whisk eggs into cooled chocolate mixture, then stir in flour mixture.
- Pour chocolate filling over cooled crust and top with remaining oatmeal mixture.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool completely before serving