Chocolate Fudge Pie is delicious, rich and decadent homemade chocolate pie, made from scratch! Perfect solution when you need quick and easy dessert!
No, don’t get me wrong! I realy love my son Marco’s birthday party, but some of the things can simply make me go crazy! Come to think of it, those are not birthday, but more “postbirthday” concerns. And here is what it’s about!
Since we want as many guests as possible at the party every year, we simply rent our favorite restaurant. Of course, counting on most of the guests coming, besides the birthday cake, I always make a ton of cakes, salty nibbles and little things like that. And always, some of the guests are not able to come. Doesn’t matter! But then, for days, we have to eat all the food that is left from the party! An even bigger problem is that the guests that could not make it to the party, still want to see Marco and give him a present, so they come days and days after his actul birthday. And so, the party sometimes lasts 10 days “after”.
And this year, the usual few days became two weeks. Last on the guest list was my dear cousin Dobby, who said he was coming 15 days after the party to pay a “birthday visit”. Well, OK, when we were able to survive everything until now, we will also survive this also. But this time, there was nothing from the party left in my kitchen. And my cousin Dobby who has „sweet tooth“, just like me, always looked forward to the visits because he knew something sweet was waiting on the table.
So, what delicious treat to prepare and not spend the whole day in the kitchen? I know that my cousin is a great chocoholic, just like me, but baking a cake was too complicated at that moment. And then I got the answer in two words!!! Chocolate pie! Decadent enough and not that complicated. That is it!
I have to admit that chocolate pie was not that often on the menu, so for that reason, I made a little internet reasearch. Most recipes I found were for the beautiful French Silk Chocolate Pie, but since I had already made this beautiful treat, my choice was the simple but decadent Chocolate Fudge Pie. And how was it in the end? Well, if you are looking for something really, really chocolaty, then this is the excellent choice for you! Beautiful taste of chocolate in combination with a thin pie crust – yummy 🙂
And the best witness of the things I’m telling you about is my good cousin Dobby, who was so delighted after a few tasty slices of Chocolate Fudge Pie that he took a few slices with him “for the road” 🙂 .
Homemade fudge pie with rich and dense, moist chocolate filling.
For the crust:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (cold and cut into half inch cubes)
- 2–4 tablespoons cold water
For the filling:
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate-chopped
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
To make the crust:
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar and salt.
- Add butter and mix with a fork until it starts to look like a coarse meal.
- Add 1 tablespoon of water at the time and continue mixing until a dough forms.
- Wrap the dough with the plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Lightly greased 9-inch pie plate and preheat oven to 350 F.
- Take the dough from refrigerator and roll out on a lightly floured work surface into a circle about 1/8 inch thick.
- Transfer the dough to a pie plate and trim excess of a dough from edges.
To make the filling:
- In a bowl whisk together sugar, cocoa powder, flour, and salt.
- Combine in a sauce pan half and half, butter, and chocolate and stir over a medium-low heat until it become smooth.( Let it cool a few minutes before you add it over dry ingredients and eggs)
- Add eggs, egg yolks and chocolate mixture into dry ingredients and stir until well-combined
- Transfer filling to pie crust in pan.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes (until the center is set and the edges start to crack)
- Cool 10-15 minutes before serving.