Homemade fudge pie with rich and dense, moist chocolate filling.
For the crust:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (cold and cut into half inch cubes)
- 2–4 tablespoons cold water
For the filling:
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate-chopped
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
To make the crust:
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar and salt.
- Add butter and mix with a fork until it starts to look like a coarse meal.
- Add 1 tablespoon of water at the time and continue mixing until a dough forms.
- Wrap the dough with the plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Lightly greased 9-inch pie plate and preheat oven to 350 F.
- Take the dough from refrigerator and roll out on a lightly floured work surface into a circle about 1/8 inch thick.
- Transfer the dough to a pie plate and trim excess of a dough from edges.
To make the filling:
- In a bowl whisk together sugar, cocoa powder, flour, and salt.
- Combine in a sauce pan half and half, butter, and chocolate and stir over a medium-low heat until it become smooth.( Let it cool a few minutes before you add it over dry ingredients and eggs)
- Add eggs, egg yolks and chocolate mixture into dry ingredients and stir until well-combined
- Transfer filling to pie crust in pan.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes (until the center is set and the edges start to crack)
- Cool 10-15 minutes before serving.