Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins –Simple and easy recipe for bright and sunny breakfast or brunch- moist, lemon infused muffins made with Greek yogurt. Slight crunch from poppy seeds makes really interesting twist on the classic, plain lemon muffins. Being soft and crunchy at the same time, these Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins are a win-win situation, if you ask me.
Notwithstanding that good, bakery style chocolate chip muffin and a blueberry muffin with a bunch of streusel crumb topping are always my first choice , these Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins are really amazing springtime breakfast .
This recipe uses butter and Greek yogurt and no oil and that’s what makes these Lemon Poppy Seeds Muffins deliciously moist and soft at the same time. They have more of a cake-like crumb with light and fluffy texture. Freshly squeezed lemon juice and grated lemon zest are mixed in the batter, so these delicious muffins simply bursting with fresh citrus flavor.
They are drizzled with the mixture of powdered sugar and lemon juice. You can leave the glaze off, but it adds a little extra lemon flavor. I like the muffins with the glaze more. If there is no streusel crumbs, the sweet and tangy glaze is the best part about muffins( at least for me).
These are easy to make. There’s nothing fancy about them. Just mix a few basic ingredients to make a delicious breakfast.
These springtime, citrus-infused Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins are breakfast at its best, for a lemon lover, of course.
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins –Simple and easy recipe for bright and sunny breakfast or brunch- moist, lemon infused muffins made with Greek yogurt.
- 1 and 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 5.5 tablespoons unsalted butter-room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2–3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 425F. Grease a 12-count muffin pan with nonstick spray or line with paper liners and set aside.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and poppy seeds, set aside.
- Beat the butter on high speed until smooth and creamy (about 1 minute), then add sugar and cream together. Add eggs, vanilla extract, lemon zest and greek yogurt, mix just to combine. Add lemon juice and mix to combine.
- Finally, add flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan, filling them about 3/4 full with muffin batter. Bake for 5 minutes at 425F degrees, then lower the oven temperature to 350F degrees and bake for 10-15 more minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- To make the glaze, stir together powdered sugar and lemon juice and drizzle over the muffins. Store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3-5 days or freeze up to two months.