Cranberry Apple Empanadas – cranberry and apple pie filling wrapped in flaky, buttery crust. These sweet little pastries are perfect if you’ve just gone apple picking! Take your fresh apples and tart cranberries, and you’ll have the makings of a Thanksgiving dessert!
My Favorite Fall Pastry Recipe
Although many people don’t like fall, it’s my favorite season. Maybe because I was born in October, but I think the main reason I love this time of year so much is fall baking. I simply can not resist all that delicious treats. And this fall I’m totally addicted to pies. But not only classic pies. I enjoy trying new and interesting forms and flavor combinations.
Cranberry Apple Pie Crust Empanadas
I made mini sized cherry pies, then I tried to combine apple pie filling and pie crust to make cookies. These Apple Pie Cookies turned out great, therefore followed Pumpkin Pie Mummy Cookies. All of them were combination of basic pie crust and pie filling but in a little modified, untraditional form.
You guessed, here comes another treat assembled of my favorite homemade pie crust and fruit filling. After baking pies in muffin tins and cutting cookie shapes, this time I used pie crust discs and wrapped cranberry-apple filling to make sweet empanadas.
Tips and Tricks with Making Cranberry Apple Empanadas:
These Cranberry Apple Empanadas or hand pies are perfect dessert for Thanksgiving. If you’re used to bake traditional Thanksgiving pies, make a fun twist this year and try these hand pies. Everyone could get a whole pie for themselves and you will have less dishes to wash 😉
You can enjoy these hand pies anytime. For filling I used apples and frozen cranberries which can be find all year round, but you can also use fresh cranberries now when they are in season. You can easily modified filling and use just apples or just cranberries or any other fruits. I personally like this combo because apples and cranberries makes perfect balance of tartness and sweetness, so I won’t change anything.
Cranberry Apple Empanadas
- Prep Time: 40 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 2 hours
- Yield: 12-14 empanadas 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Cranberry Apple Empanadas – cranberry and apple pie filling wrapped in flaky buttery crust. These sweet little pastries are perfect if you’ve just gone apple picking! Take your fresh apples and tart cranberries, and you’ll have the makings of a Thanksgiving dessert!
For the Crust :
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter cut into cubes-chilled
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 –1/2cup ice water
For Apple Cranberry Filling :
- 2 apples-peeled and chopped into really small chunks
- 1 cup cranberries (I used frozen)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon corn starch
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup sugar
- To make the crust in a large mixing bowl place flour, salt and sugar and mix to combine.
- Using a pastry blender incorporate chilled butter cubes into the flour mixture(the mixture should resemble coarse meal)
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons ice water over the mixture and blend, repeat with another 2 tablespoons water. When you squeeze the dough it should holds together (you may have to add more water if the dough crumbles, add 1 tablespoon at a time)
- Flatten the dough into disc, pack with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
- To make the filling in a saucepan combine cranberries , sugar and corn strach, stir well and bring to simmer over medium-high heat. Cook a few minutes until start thickening. Stir in chopped apples and cook for 2-3 more minutes, remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Lightly dust working surface with flour, place chilled dough, dust the dough and the rolling pin, too. Turn the dough as you rolling to prevent it from sticking. Roll it out 1/8-inch thick.
- Cut into discs ( I used 4 inch cutter )
- Place 11/2-2 tablespoon filling on the center of each empanada disc. Fold the empanada discs and press the edges together using your fingers or a fork. Transfer empanadas to prepared baking sheet. There should be enough dough for 14 empanadas.
- Refrigerate the empanadas until ready to bake.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Brush each empanada with egg wash and sprinkle them generously with sugar.
- Bake the empanadas for approximately 20 minutes or until golden on top.
[…] https://omgchocolatedesserts.com/cranberry-apple-empanadas/ […]
[…] Cranberry Apple Empanadas […]
[…] From: OhMyGoodnessChocolateDesserts […]
[…] From: OMGChocolateDesserts […]
[…] From: OhMyGoodnessChocolateDesserts […]
[…] 8. Source: OMG Chocolate Desserts […]