Make the classic shortbread cookies with red bits of Maraschino Cherry and you will get beautiful Christmas Cookies – Maraschino Cherry Shortbread Cookies.
Christmas Maraschino Cherry Shortbread Cookies
Although it’s just Thanksgiving, in the head of most food bloggers is Christmas. Of course, to all of you that food blogging is a full time job or a hobby, you will already have something to prepare although everyone else will prepare it a few weeks later. And since Christmas is coming in a few weeks, most of you must will be thinking about one thing and one thing only – Christmas Cookies, like classic Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies.
In only a few minutes of searching on the internet, my bookmarks were already full of really fantastic cookie ideas. Since everyone in my family just loves cookies, I decided to make a real little series of recipes for Christmas Cookies. The only thing left was to decide which recipe to start.
There could be no other! Of all the cookies that I have prepared until now, my husband was a great fan of the classic shortbread cookies with chocolate chips. In order to add a little Christmas charm, I decided to make them a little redder and the best ingredient for that is Maraschino Cherry and it’s beautiful red color and really specific taste.
And so, there was nothing else left but to begin the story with shortbread cookies. In my case, that meant preparing cookie dough in the form of a circular log and keeping this log alive from my husband. He even eats it unbaked. And in only one and a half hour, of which, almost an hour is cooling in the fridge, there they were, my Christmas Maraschino Cherry Shortbread Cookies smiling from the table teasing with their beautiful combination of black chocolate chips and red cherry.
As usual, the photo shoot had to be done in a very short time until my husband got his bite of these Maraschino Cherry Shortbread Cookies while they were still warm.
Need more Christmas Cookie recipes?! Check these:
I’m sure Santa would love to grab a few of these Cranberry Pistachio Christmas Shortbread Cookies too, when he stops by to deliver the Christmas gifts.
Christmas Sugar Cookies are classic dessert. But, these cute, red, white and green striped Christmas tree cookies will make your holiday season merry and bright!!!Print
- 1 cup unsalted butter- room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup maraschino cherries-chopped(spread cherries on paper towel to drain well or you can use candied maraschino cherries)
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips
- Mix flour and salt, set aside.
- Cream 1 cup unsalted softened butter with 1/2 cup powdered sugar, mix in vanilla.
- Add flour and salt mixture and mix until it starts forming larger clumps.
- Mix in chocolate chips and maraschino cherries.
- Form the dough into the log and press it well or it will crumble when you slice the cookies (the log should be about 2 inch thick) Wrap it in the plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 1-2 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 325 F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the log into 1/4 or 1/3 inch thick slices (if the slices crumbles, press it back together with your hands) and place them onto baking sheet with one inch of space between.
- Bake the cookies 10– 15 minutes (until they just start to turn lightly golden brown on top)
- Let them cool for 5 minutes on a baking sheet before transfer them to a rack to cool completely.