Easy Shortbread Cookies Recipe is delicious and easy to make dessert, snack and traditional Christmas treat. Classic shortbread cookies recipe uses only three ingredients: salted butter, powdered sugar and flour. If you add a hint of vanilla extract, you’ll have the best shortbread cookies ever.
Easy Shortbread Cookies Recipe
Shortbread cookies are classic. They are Christmas staple. My favorite Christmas shortbread cookies are Christmas Maraschino Cherry Shortbread Cookies. For Halloween, I dressed them into Halloween Monsters Shortbread Cookies.
Besides holiday tradition, these simple and easy cookies are family favorite treat all year round. However, they are so simple and easy to make so I often bake them. They are perfect snack for kids with a mug of warm cocoa, delicious treat alongside a cup of coffee or tea when I hang around with my friends and they make great gifts for the neighbors!
What are the ingredients for shortbread cookies?
This Easy Shortbread Cookies Recipe only four ingredients that you always have on hand:
1 cup of salted butter
¾ cup of powdered sugar
2 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract (optional)
How do you make shortbread cookies?
Classic shortbread cookies recipe is super simple and easy to make. Beat 1 cup of softened unsalted butter with ¾ cup of powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract just to combine. Gradually add flour and mix until everything is incorporate. The mixture will look crumbly or sandy at this point, so you should knead it just a few times with your hands, to come together.
Although, you can roll out the batter immediately, but I prefer to chill it I the fridge for about 45-60 minutes. Then roll out the dough and cut desired shapes.
When ready to bake the cookies, preheat the oven to 325 F and line baking sheets with parchment paper. Then, roll the dough 1/3- 1/2 inch thick and cut in desired shapes. Using a pizza cuter or sharp knife cut rectangles. But, if you want to make triangles like “pizza cuts” you’ll need 2 bowl. I used 7.5-inch bowl to cut out large circle. Next, use smaller (6-inch) bowl and lightly press onto circle to make the rim. Use knife to make dents over the rim. With a wooden skewer make dots. Finally, arrange the cookies onto baking sheet leaving at least 1-inch space between and bake at 325 F until the edges are lightly golden brown (18-20 minutes).
Shortbread cookies are baked at a low temperature (325 F) to avoid browning. When cooked, they are nearly white, or a light golden brown. They may be crumbly right after baking but they will become firmer after cooling.
If you like this Easy Shortbread Cookies Recipe you will also like these amazing shortbread cookies:
Make the classic shortbread cookies with red bits of Maraschino Cherry and you will get beautiful Christmas Cookies – Maraschino Cherry Shortbread Cookies.
How many recipes I try, from time to time, I go back to the beautiful Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies.
Lemon Shortbread Cookies with bits of white chocolate, topped with lemon curd are delicious and refreshing summer treat.
Easy Shortbread Cookies Recipe is delicious and easy to make dessert, snack and traditional Christmas treat.
- 1 cup salted butter-softened
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- Mix softened butter, powdered sugar and vanilla, just to combine.
- Gradually add flour and mix to combine. Do not mix too much. The mixture will look crumbly. Knead it just a few times with your hands to come together. Form a disk, wrap with plastic wrap and chill 45-60 minutes.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 325 F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough 1/3 -1/2 inch thick and cut in desired shapes. You can use pizza cuter or sharp knife and cut into rectangles. If you want to make “pizza cuts” use 2 bowl. I used 7.5-inch bowl to cut out large circle. Then use smaller (6-inch) bowl and lightly press onto circle to make the rim. Use knife to make dents over the rim.
- Using a wooden skewer make dots.
- Arrange the cookies onto baking sheet leaving at least 1-inch space between.
- Bake at 325 F until the edges are lightly golden brown (18-20 minutes).
I like to place cookies in the freezer 5 minutes before baking to help them keep the shape during baking, but you can skip this step. If you chill the cookies in the freezer before baking bake time will be about 22-25 minutes.