The favorite fruit of my little son Marco is banana! Whenever the time comes for a snack and I ask the usual question “Marco, what do you want for the snack“, the answer in 90% of situations is „Banana and crackers“. Sometimes, but only sometimes, peach and apples come into consideration, but without bananas, the snack of my little critter would be hell.
For that reason, in my kitchen, you can always find a few fresh bananas. But, the problem can often be grandma and grandpa who, knowing how much Marco loves them, often bring a few more bananas to make their beloved grandson happy. Then, we have a problem. We have 10 – 15 bananas which have to be eaten quickly or begin to rot .
We had a situation just like that yesterday. On the table were a few fresh bananas that I bought on the market, when grandma and grandpa came by for their usual visit with the usual sentence:
„Markooo, look what grandma and grandpa brought! Chocolate and bananas!“
And what now? I looked at my husband, the only man who had the solution to the problem of „surplus bananas“ with his eating capacity! But, he is not really a fan of this tropical fruit if it is not mixed in an interesting dessert combination.
I know! Some time ago a came by an interesting photo on a food blog – Banana Fritters . Chunks of banana mixed into dough and fried on oil. Yes that is something my big gourmand would find interesting.
And so, flour, sugar, Greek yogurt, cinnamon, egg whites and in a few minutes, the fritters dough is ready to put chunks of banana on it. Of course, in that time, the oil is hot end ready for Banana Fritters .
And as soon as you could hear the crackling and feel the smell, my husband was at the door of the kitchen.
„Mmmm, fritters! I was just thinking what I could eat!“
„Yes but these are not your usual fritters. These are banana fritters“ I answered
„Well, OK, let’s try that miracle“ said my husband and threw himself at the hot fritters on which I just put on the sugar. The first, second, third…
Everything was clear! The problem with bananas was solved and my cookbook had a new recipe – delicious Banana Fritters !
approximately 4 large bananas
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
1 cup plain greek yogurt
1 egg white
Vegetable oil for frying
Powdered sugar for dusting
- Peel bananas and cut into 1.5 inch long pieces .
- In a bowl mix together flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and cinnamon.
- Add egg white and yogurt into dry ingredients and stir well with a wooden spoon until it’s smooth.
- Heat about 2 inch oil in a frying pan.( Be careful not to over heat the oil or the fritters will be too brown, it should be about 350F).
- Using a fork dip each banana slice into to batter to coat it well and transfer it into oil and fry until it’s golden brown. Work in small batches because you have to work fast.
- Remove fried fritters to a paper towel lined plate to drain .
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.