Valentine’s Chocolate Covered Oreos look so fancy, but they couldn’t be any easier to make. Oreo cookies dipped in white and dark chocolate, decorated with pretzel and candy hearts look and taste amazing. They will pack nicely into bags with a ribbon or treat boxes to give as gifts for Valentine’s Day.
Valentine’s Chocolate Covered Oreos
These Valentine’s Chocolate Covered Oreos are simply amazing. They are always a mega-hit with friends and family and it’s one of the simplest and most scrumptious treats to make.
Everyone’s favorite sandwich cookies, Oreos, are great on their own, but they are way much better when they’re covered in chocolate.
You can find chocolate dipped Oreos at candy stores, but they are much more expensive. However, you can easily make your own homemade chocolate covered Oreos with no effort, and your family and friends will be so impressed!
This easy dessert is greater than the sum of its parts. Also, when you want to give them as a gift, everyone will more appreciate these hand-dipped homemade Oreos, than the store-bought version.
When you make homemade chocolate covered Oreos you can decorate them in so many creative ways. While the chocolate is still wet you can add some sprinkles or candies for decoration. Chocolate covered Oreos make a great dessert, snack, party favor or holiday gift.
Since the Valentine’s Day is almost here, I wanted them to look romantic and festive. For decoration I used pretzels. You can use heart pretzels or just the regular ones. Inside the pretzels, I added white and dark chocolate and small candy hearts. They turned out super cute, festive and romantic. I’ll share them as Valentine’s Day gift to friends and co-workers.
How to Make Chocolate Covered Oreos
- Use high-quality chocolate (melting wafers), not chocolate chips. I recommend the Ghiradelli melting wafers for taste and texture. Candy melts are much easier to work with than chocolate chips and create a smooth, thin coating. Chocolate chips are more likely to create a super thick shell that doesn’t have that smooth finish.
- Melt the chocolate according to package directions. The easiest way to melt candy melts is in the microwave in a microwave-safe bowl and cook for 30-second increments, stirring occasionally until the candy is melted.
- Chocolate must be smooth before dipping. If you need to thin it out for easy dipping you can stir in some coconut oil (or shortening), a teaspoon at a time. Coconut oil thin it well and helps the chocolate harden faster and make beautiful shell.
- Make sure to remove excess chocolate from the bottom of the Oreo or it will make a “foot” at the bottom of the cookies. If it happens, simply draw a circle with a toothpick around the base.
- Store in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks at room temperature. Avoid warm temperatures, like sunlight, or the chocolate could melt. I don’t recommend freezing them because the chocolate will not look great once they defrost.
Valentine’s Chocolate Covered Oreos look so fancy, but they couldn’t be any easier to make. Oreo cookies dipped in white or dark chocolate decorated with pretzel and candy hearts look and taste amazing. They will pack nicely into bags with a ribbon or treat boxes to give as gifts for Valentine’s Day.
- 24 Oreo cookies
- 8 oz. white chocolate candy melts
- 8 oz. dark chocolate candy melts
- a few teaspoons of coconut oil, if needed to thin the chocolate to reach desired consistency
- 24 pretzels
- 24 heart candies
- Line a tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- In two separate bowls, melt white and dark chocolate candy melts according to package directions. The easiest way is to place the candy melts in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30-second increments until melted, stirring occasionally. If the chocolate is too thick for dipping add a teaspoon of coconut oil at a time until reach desired consistency.
- Use a fork to dip each Oreo in the chocolate. Dip 12 Oreos in white chocolate and 12 in dark chocolate. Gently tap the fork against the side of the bowl to remove any excess chocolate from the Oreos. or it will make a “foot” at the bottom of the cookies. If it happens, simply draw a circle with a toothpick around the base.
- Place the Oreos on parchment paper. While the chocolate is still wet press a pretzel on each cookie. Place in the fridge for a few minutes to firm.
- Transfer remaining chocolate in a zip-lock bags and cut off the corner. Fill the inside of the pretzels with chocolate and press the heart candy in the center. Place in the fridge for 10-15 minutes or until the chocolate hardens completely.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1-2 weeks.