Decadent Nutella Chocolate Cake – a moist and rich cake recipe iced with creamy, buttery Nutella frosting. Triple-layer chocolate cake is the ultimate birthday cake – your kids will absolutely adore you for making it! Top this masterpiece with some sprinkles, and you’re good to go!
- For the cake:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1–3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1–1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1–1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- For Chocolate Nutella Frosting:
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cup unsalted butter-room temperature
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup Nutella
- 11 oz semisweet baking chocolate-melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease three 8 inch round baking pans and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla and mix on medium speed 2 minutes.
- Add boiling water and mix until it’s smooth.
- Divide batter into 3 prepared pans and bake 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out almost clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in the pans, than remove from pans to wire racks upside down (this flattens domed cakes) and cool completely.
- To make the frosting melt 11 oz chocolate and let it cool to a room temperature.
- Beat the butter and sugar until it’s light and fluffy, then add chocolate, nutella, vanilla and salt and mix well.
- Add sour cream and mix it well to combine evenly.
- To assemble the cake place a dollop of frosting on the plate, then place the first layer and spread about 1 1/2 of frosting over the cake,. Repeat the process with the other two layer and cover the cake with frosting. Garnish with chocolate sprinkles. Store in the fridge.