Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes are a quick, easy and cute version of Strawberry Shortcake Cake. They taste just as good as the cake version but can be held in your hand!
For the cupcakes:
- 1 and 2/3 cups (210 g) all-purpose flour (if you don’t have kitchen scale fill the cup with spoon when measure and DO NOT overdo it with flour!!!)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter- melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 12 medium strawberries- hulled
For the frosting:
- 1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3–4 tablespoon powdered sugar (or more to taste)
- 1/2 cup strawberries chopped into really small pieces (or it will stuck into the piping tip)
- Preheat oven to 350F, line standard cupcake pan with 12 liners and set aside.
- In a bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- Melt the butter in a small sauce pan over low heat and set aside to cool.
- Transfer melted butter to a large bowl and whisk in sugar (it will be grainy), then whisk in egg whites, milk, yogurt and vanilla. Whisk by hand or use electric mixer on a low speed.
- Slowly add dry ingredients into egg mixture and mix on low speed until combined (the batter should be thick). Divide the batter into 12 cupcake liner (it will be about 3/4 full) and bake 20 minutes (until the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean). Let them cool in the pan for 10 minutes then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- With a sharp knife hollow out the center of the cupcake and insert the strawberry inside.
- To make the frosting in a large bowl beat heavy cream until soft peaks form, then add powdered sugar and vanilla and continue mixing on high speed until stiff peaks form. Stir in strawberries chopped into really fine pieces.Pipe the frosting onto cooled cupcakes.
- Store in the fridge. Garnish with strawberries before serving.