White Chocolate Cranberry Layered Cake is a delicious combo of moist almond cake layers with double filling- sweet and tart thick cranberry sauce and white chocolate coconut custard.
- 7 large egg whites
- 1 ¾ cup (210 grams) powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (115 grams) unsalted butter
- 3.5 oz (100 grams) toasted almonds-ground
- 1 cup (100grams) sifted cake flour
- 1lb. (450 grams) cranberries
- 1 ½ cup (300 grams) sugar
- 1 cup cranberry juice (you can use raspberry juice instead)
- 5 Tablespoons corn-starch
White Chocolate Coconut filling:
- 7 egg yolks
- ½ cup of sugar
- 2 cups milk (divided)
- 2 x 3 oz. boxes coconut cream cook and serve pudding
- 10 oz. (280 grams) white chocolate-finely chopped
- ½ cup (115 grams) unsalted butter
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¾ cup finely shredded coconut
- 1 ½ cups fresh firm cranberries- wash and sort out any that doesn’t look so great
- 6 Tablespoons water
- ¾ cup sugar-divided
To make the Sparkling Cranberries:
- In a medium saucepan combine 6 Tbsp water and 6 Tbsp sugar and bring to a boil over medium heat until sugar is fully dissolved about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1 ½ cup of cranberries. Make sure each cranberry is well coated. Let them sit in the syrup for 5 minutes.
- Next, using a slotted spoon, transfer cranberries to a wire rack, and let them dry about an hour. After that time the cranberries should be dry but sticky.
- In a bowl place remaining sugar. Working in small batches, roll cranberries in sugar until they are fully coated. Let them sit on a sheet of parchment paper for another hour until dry. Store them in the fridge in an air-tight container.
To make the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. With non-stick baking spray grease three 9-inches round cake pans, line the bottoms with parchment paper, spray the paper, then set aside.
- In a small saucepan heat the butter until lightly browned, then let it cool to room temperature.
- Mix the egg whites with a pinch of salt until soft peaks form. Gradually add powdered sugar and mix until combine. Mix in cooled browned butter. Gently stir in ground almond and flour.
- Divide the mixture into 3 equal parts and spread in the bottom of prepared pans, smooth tops and bake 18-20 minutes, or until light golden brown and the edges start separating from the pans.
- Let the cakes cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then invert on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. If the parchment paper circles stuck to the cake, peel them off, then turn each cake so that the flat side is down, and the top is up.
To make the Cranberry Filling:
- While the cake is baking make cranberry filling. Dissolve cornstarch in ¼ cranberry or raspberry juice and set aside.
- Place cranberries, sugar, and remaining juice to a medium saucepan and bring to simmer and let simmer for about 8-10 minutes until cranberries burst and soften. Mash cranberries with a spatula while cooking.
- Add cornstarch mixture and cook for another 2-3 minutes, until thick, stirring constantly with a spatula. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. The filling should be thick like jam.
- When the filling is cooled spread over the cake layers, leaving ½ inch edges clean. Let it cool and set completely.
To make the White Chocolate Coconut Filling:
- Dissolve coconut cream puddings in 1 cup cold milk and set aside.
- Beat egg yolks and sugar. Place 1 cup milk in a large sauce-pan and whisk in the egg yolk mixture. Cook over medium heat whisking constantly and be careful not to make scrambled eggs. Add dissolved pudding and cook 2-3 minutes stirring constantly with a rubber spatula.
- Remove from heat and add finely chopped white chocolate. Gently stir until the chocolate has melted completely. Set aside to cool. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Beat softened butter until light and creamy, gradually adding powdered sugar. Slowly pour in heavy whipping cream and beat until thick. Set aside.
- When the white chocolate filling is completely cooled, mix in butter mixture.
To assemble the cake:
- Place one cake layer with cranberry filling onto the serving plate. You can place the ring from a 9-inch springform pan around the cake, to make it easier to assemble. Reserve about 2 cups white chocolate coconut filling to cover the sides and for garnish, set aside.
- Spread 1/3 of the remaining filling over the cranberry layer. Place the second cake layer with cranberry filling up, and cover with 1/3 white chocolate coconut frosting. Then repeat with the third cake layer and filling on top. Place in the fridge to firm for 1-2 hours.
- Remove the ring from the springform pan and cover the cake sides with white chocolate coconut filling. Reserve remaining filling to pipe the swirls for garnish. Sprinkle the top and sides of the cake with shredded coconut. Transfer remaining filling in a piping bag with1M tip and pipe the swirls. Place sugared cranberries in the center. Store covered in the fridge for up to 1 week. You can make the cake 2-3 days in advance and garnish with cranberries when ready to serve.