In only half an hour, prepare a quick and tasty dinner for your family! Stuffed French Bread is a simple recipe for a crispy loaf of bread stuffed with cheesy ground beef. You can serve it cut into pieces, as a Philly cheesesteak sandwich, or as an appetizer!
- 1 loaf french bread
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Lb. lean ground beef
- 1 small onion -chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped leek (you can use other chopped vegetables: carrots, celery, green bell pepper…)
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup (or cream of celery or chicken soup)
- 1 Tablespoons milk ( or more if needed )
- 1 Tablespoon mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2–2 cups shredded cheese
- chopped parsley (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Slice French bread in half (lengthwise), scoop the center of each half and crumble it in a large bowl.
- Place the halves of bread onto a baking sheet and set aside.
- In a large skillet place 1 Tablespoon of olive oil and ground beef and cook over medium-high heat until the beef is browned, stirring occasionally. Add chopped onion, chopped leek (or other vegetables) and minced garlic and cook a few minutes until the vegetable is tender.
- Add soup, mustard, salt and pepper to taste and cook for at least 5 minutes.
- If the mixture is too thick add a little milk.
- Add cooked beef mixture to the bread and stir to combine.
- Spread the mixture in the center of one half of the french bread.
- Spread shredded cheese in the center of other half of the french bread. and place the bread carefuly back on top of first half.
- Bake 10-15 minutes (until the cheese is melted). If you don’t want to brown the bread too much or to become too crispy, cover with aluminium foil.
- Let it cool 5-10 minutes before slicing. Garnish with chopped parsley if you like.