Strawberry Cream Cheese Muffins with Streusel Topping are moist and flavorful breakfast muffins, and they burst with strawberries in every single bite.
Streusel Crumb Topping:
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup unsalted butter-melted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 ½ cup diced fresh strawberries
Cream Cheese Filling:
- 6 oz. cream cheese-room temperature
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 ½ –2 ½ teaspoons milk or creme
- Preheat the oven to 425 F, line cupcake pan with paper liners ad set aside. This recipe makes 9-10 muffins.
- To make the crumb topping, stir together flour, sugar, and salt. Add melted butter and whisk with a fork until coarse crumbs form. Set aside.
- To make the muffins in a large bowl stir together flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg and granulated sugar until combined. Whisk in yogurt, oil, and vanilla extract (mixture should be pale and yellow)
- Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix everything together by hand.
- Finally, using a rubber spatula, fold in diced strawberries. Reserve 2-3 tablespoons of diced strawberries to top the muffins.
- To make the cream cheese filling, mix softened cream cheese, sugar, corn starch and vanilla just to combine.
- To assemble the muffins, add 1 Tablespoon of muffin mixture in each cup. Drop 1 not quite full Tablespoon of cream cheese mixture in the center of each muffin. Cover cream cheese filling with muffin batter, filling each cup about 2/3 to ¾ full.
- Generously top each muffin with streusel crumbs. Add a few strawberry pieces on top and gently press the crumbs to stick to the muffin batter.
- Place in preheated oven and reduce the temperature to 350 F. Bake 22-25 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown and the center has set.
- Cool 5-10 minutes in the pan, then transfer the muffins on a rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare the glaze. Stir powdered sugar with milk or cream. Start with 1 teaspoon of the liquid and gradually add more until desired consistency has reached. Drizzle over muffins and serve.