Strawberry Cheesecake Coffee Cake-one cake with seven irresistible layers.
For the filling:
- 12 oz. cream cheese-softened
- 6 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg white
- 2 cups fresh strawberries-sliced
For the cake:
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5.5 Tablespoons unsalted butter- softened
- 2/3 cup sugar ( I used 1/3 cup light brown sugar and 1/3 cup granulated sugar)
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup flour
- 6 tablespoons butter-chilled and cubed
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons cream (or milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
To make the crumb topping:
- Combine sugar, flour and chilled cubed butter in a bowl. Stir with a fork or pastry blender until the mixture is crumbly( make sure the streusel is in pea-sized crumbs). Set in the fridge until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 9 inch springform pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. Set aside.
To make the filling:
- Mix together the cream cheese and sugar on medium-low speed until creamy. Add egg white end mix on low just to combine. Set aside.
For cake batter:
- In a bowl stir together flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
- With an electric mixer cream the butter for a minute, then add sugars and mix until light and fluffy. Add egg and egg yolk and vanilla, mix to combine. Slowly mix in the flour mixture alternating with the sour cream.
- Spread almost 2/3 of the batter onto the bottom of prepared pan, smooth with a spatula. Spoon the cream cheese filling on top. Arrange the strawberries onto the cream cheese filling (don’t go all the way to the edges).Save about 10 slices of strawberries for the next layer.
- Using a spoon drizzle the remaining batter over the strawberries and spread as much as you can. You won’t have enough batter to cover the whole layer completely, but it’s OK. Scatered the remaining strawberry slices, then sprinkle with the crumb topping and bake 60-70 minutes, until the cake is no longer jiggly in the center. If the top browns to quickly, you can tent it with aluminum foil after 35-40 minutes of baking time.
- Cool on a rack, run a thin knife around the cake and loose ring from springform pan.
To make the glaze:
- Whisk together the cream, sugar and vanilla. Drizzle over the cake and serve.