These Star Gingerbread Cookies are perfect, delicious, sweet and spicy, easy Christmas cookie recipe you are all looking for!
- 2 ¼ (280g) cups flour
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (115 g) butter- cut in cubes and slightly softened
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup (113g) molasses
- 4 teaspoons meringue powder
- 3 cups powdered sugar-sifted
- 2.5 Tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- First stir together dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, salt and spices, set aside.
- Then, in a large mixing bowl cream together butter and sugar. Add molasses, egg yolk and vanilla. Mix to combine.
- Now, gradually mix in dry ingredients and mix until it’s fully incorporated. The batter should be thick and slightly sticky. If it’s too sticky add a tablespoon of flour at the time, but do not dry it out too much. If it looks sandy add a Tablespoon of milk to clump together.
- Next, divide batter in half and roll out each half of the dough (about ¼ inch thick) between two sheets of parchment paper. Then, transfer the dough with parchment paper onto baking sheets or large trays and place in the freezer to firm (about 25 minutes or until firm enough to cut with cookie cutter).
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Then, take out one dough from the freezer and cut out the stars or any shape you like. Arrange the cookies onto baking sheet 1 inch apart. (Make sure to bake the cookies of approximately same size at the time.)
- Bake about 8-10 minutes, depending on size of cookies. Let them cool for 5 minutes onto baking sheet, then transfer on a rack to cool completely.
- Then repeat the process with remaining dough. Re-roll leftovers from cutting and freeze again. (Because the dough softens at the room temperature and became very sticky.)
How to decorate the cookies:
- When the cookies are cool completely, make the icing.
- Whisk together meringue powder and water until a slight foam forms. Then add powdered sugar and mix for about 2 minutes, until smooth, light and airy. If it’s too thick add a teaspoon of water at the time. If it’s too thin add more powdered sugar. Transfer the icing into a zip-lock bag and cut off the small corner or use a piping bag with a small round tip. Drizzle the icing onto cooled cookies.