If you are looking for a gorgeous Christmas cookie recipe, these Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies will not leave you disappointed. Soft and gooey, and with beautiful red color, these cookies are a great choice for a cookie exchange and also for a Valentine’s day dessert recipe.
- 4 Tablespoons butter(softened)
- 8 ounces cream cheese(softened)
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon red liquid food coloring
- 21/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder(unsweetened)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- In a separate bowl whisk together dry ingredients: flour, granulated sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt, set aside.
- Mix cream cheese and butter until smooth, beat in the egg and food coloring.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until the dough comes together.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2-3 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the powdered sugar in a bowl.
- Roll about 1 tablespoon dough into balls.
- Roll the dough balls in the powdered sugar and place on the baking sheets (3 inches apart). Bake 10 to 12 minutes (until the edges of the cookies are set, but do not over baked or they will be too dry).
- Transfer the cookies to racks and cool completely
- You can store them in airtight container for up to 3 days.