This is the fall baking recipe you’ve all been waiting for – Pumpkin Coffee Cake! A big slice of spiced pumpkin cake with cream cheese filling in the center and crunchy brown sugar-cinnamon crumbs on top! Drizzle it with sweet glaze, pair it with a cup of coffee, and you’ve got the perfect start to your day!
For Crumb Topping:
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 Tablespoons sugar
- 4 Tablespoons light or dark brown sugar
- 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter- cold and cut into small cubes
Cream Cheese Filling:
- 8 oz. cream cheese-softened
- 4 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg white
For Pumpkin Cake:
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup oil
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1–2 Tablespoons cream or milk (I used cream)
- First make the crumbs: in a bowl stir together flour, sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon. Add chilled cubed butter and using a fork or pastry blender press to combine evenly and create large crumbs. Set in the fridge until ready to use.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease 9 inch springform pan, line the bottom with parchment paper and set aside( I baked this cake in 8 inch springform pan and it almost overflow the pan while baking so you better use 9 inch pan, but your cake won’t be as tall as the cake on the photo).
- To make cream cheese filling in a medium bowl beat together softened cream cheese and sugar until creamy. Mix in egg white and vanilla just to combine. Set aside.
- To make the cake toss together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice, set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together egg, egg yolk, sugar and brown sugar, pumpkin puree, oil, Greek yogurt and vanilla to combine evenly.
- Add dry ingredients and mix to combine.
- Pour half of the pumpkin cake batter in the pan, spoon cream cheese filling on top. Gently pour remaining pumpkin cake batter, smooth the top, sprinkle with crumb topping and bake 45-55 minutes (until the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, a few moist crumb is OK) Start checking after 45 minutes because if you bake it too long the cake will be dry.
- After 20 minutes run a thin knife around the cake, release the ring from springform pan and take it off.
- To make the glaze stir together powdered sugar and cream (or milk) and drizzle over the cake.