Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake is the ultimate chocolate peanut butter dessert recipe. Fudgy chocolate cake layers with creamy peanut butter cheesecake filling, overloaded with tons of peanut butter cups and silky milk chocolate ganache on top.
Chocolate Cake Layers:
- 1 (15.25oz.) box super moist chocolate fudge cake mix
- ingredients listed on the box (3 eggs, oil, water)
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 6 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 12 oz. brick style cream cheese-room temperature
- 1 ½ cups peanut butter
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons gelatin
- 2 Tablespoons cold water
- 7–8 oz. mini chocolate peanut butter cups
Milk Chocolate Ganache:
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 4 oz. milk chocolate-finely chopped
- 2 oz. semi-sweet baking chocolate-finely chopped
- 4 Reese’s-cut in half
- 1/3 cup Reese’s pieces
To make the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease two 8-inches round cake pans and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Prepare the cake mix following the instructions on the box. Divide batter evenly in prepared pans and bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in the pans, then remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Trim the top of each cake to make flat surface. Place one cake layer on a serving plate and place the ring from springform pan around the cake, set aside.
To make the filling:
- In a bowl mix heavy cream until soft peaks form, then add vanilla and 6 Tablespoons powdered sugar and mix until firm peaks form.
- Dissolve 2 teaspoons gelatin in 2 Tablespoons cold water and set aside for a few minutes to bloom, then melt over low heat until gelatin is completely melted and smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl beat cream cheese and peanut butter until it’s smooth. Gradually mix in powdered sugar. The mixture will become thick and dry. So after you added about ¾ cup of powdered sugar, add half ow whipped cream and mix, then add remaining ¾ cup of powdered sugar and whipped cream.
- Reserve about 2 ½ cups of peanut butter cream cheese mixture to cover the cake and pipe the swirls on top. Cover and place in the fridge. When ready to decorate the, remove from the fridge and leave 30 minutes at room temperature.
- In remaining filling mix in melted gelatin. Spread thin layer of the filling (with gelatin added) over the first cake layer. Arrange Reese’s minis over the entire layer, then top with remaining filling.
- Place second cake layer on top and gently press with your palms to stick everything together well. Chill in the fridge for about 2-3 hours (or freeze for 1 hour).
- Run a thin knife around the cake and release the ring. Cover the top and sides of the cake with reserved filling.
To make the ganache:
- Put finely chopped chocolates in a heat proof bowl. Heat heavy whipping cream until it just begins to boil, then pour it over the chocolates. Allow it to sit for 2-3 minutes, then whisk until smooth.
Drizzle the chocolate around the edges of the cake, then fill in the top of the cake and smooth it with an offset spatula.
- When the ganache is slightly firm (after about 10 minutes) arrange Reese’s halves on top and pipe the swirls with remaining frosting. Top with Reese’s pieces if desired.