Old Fashioned Coconut Cream Pie – a fluffy and creamy homemade pie recipe loaded with sweet coconut flavor… like the one your grandma used to make! Topped with shredded coconut, this custard-filled pie, with pie crust made from scratch, is the comfort food you’ve been craving!
For Pie Crust:
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter- cold and cut into small cubes
- 3–5 Teaspoon cold water
- (or 1 baked 9 or 10″ pie shell)
For Coconut Custard Filling:
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 3/4 c + 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup unsweetened finely ground coconut (if you use sweetened flaked coconut cut the sugar to 1/2 cup and process the coconut in a food processor to make it fine instead of stringy)
- 1/2 cup toasted sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 1/3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 Tablespoon powdered sugar(or more, to taste)
To make the crust:
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar and salt.
- Add butter and mix with a fork until it starts to look like a coarse meal.
- Add 1 tablespoon of water at the time and continue mixing until a dough forms.
- Shape it into a disk, wrap with the plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes or more.
- Lightly greased 9-inch pie plate and preheat oven to 375 F.
- Take the dough from refrigerator and roll out on a lightly floured work surface into a circle about 1/8 inch thick.
- Transfer the dough to a pie plate and trim excess of a dough from edges, poke the crust with the fork so that it doesn’t puff up while cooking and bake about 20-30 minutes at 375 F (until become golden-brown), set aside to cool.
To make the custard:
- Whisk the yolks in a bowl, set aside
- In a medium saucepan stir together cornstarch, sugar and salt. Add the half-and-half and stir well. Use a spatula to scrap all dry ingredients from the bottom to avoid lumps. Stir in egg yolks. Bring to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly!!! When it starts to thicken remove the pan from the heat and stir in 1 cup unsweetened finely ground coconut t and the vanilla extract.
- Let the filling cool slightly,about 30 minutes(stir occasionally while it’s coolong) and pour into a baked and cooled pie shell. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours until set.
To make the topping:
- Preheat the oven to 325 F, spread sweetened flaked coconut coconut on a baking sheet and bake it until golden brown, about 5 minutes (stirring from time to time),set aside to cool.
- Beat heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar together until soft peaks form, spread over the pie and sprinkle with toasted coconut. Store in the fridge.