Old Fashioned Chocolate Cake is a dangerously delicious, rich and decadent chocolate cake recipe! It’s the perfect birthday cake because chocolate is just about everyone’s favorite! A supremely moist cake with tender texture, and a large helping of sweet chocolate frosting.
For the Cake:
- 2 oz. semisweet chocolate (or bittersweet with max. 61% cacao)- chopped
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 1 and 3/4 cups boiling water
- 2 and 3/4 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoons baking soda
- dash of salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 and 1/3 cups mayonnaise (not reduced-fat or fat-free)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the Frosting:
- 10 oz. semisweet chocolate (or bittersweet with max. 61% cacao)-chopped
- 1 and 1/2 cups unsalted butter-softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1–2 Tablespoons milk-optional
To make the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease two 9 inch diameter pans with at least 2.5 inch high sides or three 8 inch- cake pans with 1.5-2-inch-high sides. Then, line the bottom of each pan with circle of parchment paper and set aside.
- First, in a medium bowl whisk sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside, too.
- Then, in a medium heat proof bowl combine cocoa powder and chopped chocolate. Pour with 1 and 3/4 cups boiling water and stir until all chocolate is melted and the mixture looks smooth.
- Now, in another large bowl mix both sugars and mayonnaise until well blended.
- Add one by one eggs at the time and mix well after each addition. Mix in vanilla.
- Alternately add flour mixture in 4 additions and chocolate mixture in 3 additions. Mix well after each addition. Start with ¼ flour mixture, mix, add 1/3 chocolate mixture, mix and continue until all ingredients are added and well blended.
- Divide cake batter among prepared cake pans and bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean(30 to 32 minutes for 8 inch pans or 35-40 minutes for 9 inch pans). Do not overbake or the cake will be dry!!!
- Cool cakes in pans on for 15-20 minutes, then run small knife around sides of cakes to loosen and carefully invert cakes onto racks to cool completely.
To make the frosting:
- Melt 10 oz. chopped chocolate and set aside to cool.
- Beat softened butter until smooth and creamy. Gradually add sifted powdered sugar and mix until well blended. Mix in vanilla.
- Add melted chocolate and mix until silky and smooth.
- If the frosting is too thick add 1 Tbsp. milk at the time.
- Place first cake layer onto serving plate, spread approximately ¾ cup frosting onto each layer (for 8 inch cake) or 1 -1 ½ cup (for 9 inch cake), spread remaining frosting on top and sides of the cake.
Original recipe calls for three 8 x 1.5 inch round cake pans and make three layers cake. I used two 9 x 3 inch round cake pans and made two layers cake. My 9 inch cake layer was between 1.5- 2 inch thick when baked. You have enough frosting for either two layers of 9 inch cake or three layers of 8 inch cake.