Mini Apple Pies are easy to make fall dessert, and they are as delicious as they are adorable!
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts
- 3 cups chopped apples (4 medium-small Granny Smith apples)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon water
- sanding sugar-optional
- Preheat the oven to 425℉. Lightly spray standard 12-counts muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Using a fork, slightly beat an egg and 1 tablespoon of water, and set aside.
- Peel, core and dice apples into small, ¼ inch cubes and place in a medium bowl. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla and the mixture of 2 Tablespoons flour, ¼ cup sugar, ¼ cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and ¼ teaspoon nutmeg and stir well until the apples are evenly coated, and set aside.
- Unroll the pie crusts and using a 4-inch round cookie cutter, cut out 12 circles. Gently press each circle into the each cavity of muffin pan.
- Brush the bottom of each crust with the egg wash.
- Divide the apple mixture evenly between cups.
- Gather all pie crust scraps, and roll out thin. Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter cut into less than ¼ thick strips for the lattice top crust. Cut the strips so they are just slightly longer than cavity of your muffing pan. You will need 6 stripes for each top. Arrange the strips into a lattice. Lay out the lattice crust on top of the apple filling, trim the excess and gently press the edge of the strips down to secure.
- Brush the lattice tops with the egg wash, sprinkle some sanding sugar and bake about 20-25 minutes, or until the crust is lightly golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool for 5-10 minutes, then carefully remove the mini pies from the pan and transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. If the pies are stuck to the pan use a thin knife or spatula to run around and release the apple pie cups from the pan.
- You can serve them warm or cooled. Store leftovers covered on the counter for the next day, and for longer storage place them in the fridge, up to 4 days.