Lemon Custard Cake is a quick and easy dessert recipe, perfect for summer. This cake is soft and creamy, with refreshing lemon flavor.
- 4 eggs (room temperature)-separated
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter-melted and slightly cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- grated zest from 2 large lemons
- 1 ¾ cups milk-lukewarm
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line 8×8-inch baking dish with parchment paper leaving overhang the sides, lightly grease with cooking spray, then set aside.
- Whip the egg whites until STIFF peaks form, set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar until pale yellow.
- Add melted butter and vanilla and mix until evenly combined.
- Mix in flour until evenly incorporated.
- Add lemon juice and lemon zest and mix until combined.
- Slowly beat in the milk until well combined.
- Add egg whites and whisk by hand. You don’t need to fold it in completely. Leave small egg whites lumps. When you pour it in the pan, lumps will float on the surface and create the top layer during the baking. NOTES: The batter is very, very thin!!!
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 40-60 minutes (until the cake is barely jiggly in the center, but the top is firm to touch). Baking time might vary depending on your oven or pan you use but start checking after 35 minutes. If the top browns quickly, you can cover the cake with aluminum foil. Do not overbake it, or the cake will turn out rubbery not custardy in the center.
- Cool the cake completely before dusting with powdered sugar.
- Store leftovers I the fridge