Lemon Coffee Cake is a delicious, moist and sweet breakfast or snack cake, and also a very easy dessert recipe. Bursting with tangy lemon flavor, this coffee cake is the perfect treat to enjoy this spring or summer!
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Dash of salt
- 3 Tablespoons light brown sugar
- 5 Tablespoons sugar
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter-melted and slightly cooled
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter-softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- grated lemon zest from 1 lemon
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 cup lemon curd (store bought or homemade)
Cream Cheese Filling:
- 8 oz. cream cheese-softened
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 4 Tablespoons sugar
Homemade Lemon Curd:
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 5 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- To make homemade lemon curd, in a sauce pan melt the butter. Remove from the heat, add sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest, whisk to combine. Add eggs and whisk well. Place over medium heat and cook for 5-6 minutes until all sugar dissolve and the mixture is thick enough to hold the marks from a whisk. Cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line 8 x 8 x 2 inch square baking pan (or 9 x 9 inch pan) with parchment paper leaving an overhang the sides, spray with non-stick spray and set aside.
- First make the crumb topping. In a bowl stir together flour, sugar, brown sugar and salt. Then add melted butter and stir with a fork until pea size crumb form. Set in the fridge until ready to use.
- To make the cake beat softened butter for a minute, then add sugar and beat until creamy. Add lemon zest, vanilla and eggs and mix to combine.
- Add sour cream and mix well, then mix in flour, baking powder and salt. Spread half of the batter in prepared pan.
- Spread 1 cup of lemon curd over the batter but don’t go all the way to the edges (or it will burn during baking).
- Spoon remaining batter on top.
- Beat cream cheese, vanilla, sugar and egg until smooth. Spread cream cheese mixture over the batter.
- Sprinkle with crumb topping and bake about 45-55 minutes or until the center has set. If it browns too much tent the top with aluminum foil.
- Cool for 30 minutes in the pan, then pull the paper and lift the cake and transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving if desired.