Ham and Cheese Rolls are soft and gooey, pizza-style rolls – the perfect party snack. These ham rolls are the best appetizer or after-school snack recipe. Made with puff pastry, mozzerella, pizza sauce, and ham, these bite-sized rolls are full of warm cheesy goodness!
- 1 17.5 oz package (2 sheets) store-bought puff pastry(thawed but still cool)
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 12 slices deli ham
- 1–1 1/2 cup shredded cheese (mozzarella)
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or oregano ( you can combine both)
- 2 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 F and line two large baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper and set aside.
- Place a sheet of thawed puff pastry onto a baking paper dusted with flour and roll out into approximately 8×12 inch rectangle (dimension may vary depending on brand of pastry you use) It should be rolled out thin but don’t thin it out too much or it won’t be able to hold the filling.
- Spread athin layer of pizza sauce, arrange ham slices and sprinkle with shredded cheese (do not over-top or else you won’t be able to roll the dough into neat log, you can add more cheese onto top of each slice before baking).
- Tightly roll up the dough like a cinnamon bun with the baking paper already under the dough(lift the edge of baking paper and roll). Repeat the process with the second sheet of puff pastry and the other half of the filling.
- You can place rolls onto 1 prepared baking sheet and set it in the freezer for 10 minutes , it will be easier to cut, or you can cut it immediately.
- Cut roll into slices, approximately 1-inch wide and place onto baking sheet keeping 2 inch apart.(while you cut the roll slices will flatten and lose their shape but using your finger shape them back into circle when place them onto baking sheet).
- Combine olive oil with basil or oregano and brush the tops and edges of each slice, then sprinkle with parmesan.
- Bake in preheated oven about 15-20 minutes (until the edges are golden brown).
- Let them cool 5-10 minutes onto baking sheet (if the bottoms are stick a little run a thin knife under each slice and transfer them onto a serving plate).
- If you want make them ahead and keep in the freezer pack them into a foil. When you’re ready to bake take them out the freezer for 15 minutes before cutting into slices, then let the slices sit another 15 minutes at room temperature to thaw completely before baking(brush with oil, sprinkle with parmesan and bake).