Halloween Monsters Shortbread Cookies are melt in your mouth dipped chocolate chip shortbread cookies decorated to look like cut and creepy Halloween treats.
For Shortbread Cookies:
- 1 cup salted butter-softened at room temperature
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup miniature chocolate chips
- About 4 oz. orange candy melts
- About 4 oz. green candy melts
- 5–6 oz. white candy melts (or white chocolate chips; save leftovers to drizzle the bandage on mummies)
- 1.5 oz. chocolate chips-melted
- Candy eyes
- Chocolate sprinkles for Frankenstein hair
- Green candies (like M&M) for Frankenstein nose
To make the shortbread Cookies:
- Mix butter o high speed for 1 minute, add powdered sugar and vanilla and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Turn your mixer on low speed and add flour. Mix just until combine. It will be crumbly, but do not over beat it.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Transfer the dough in a gallon size plastic bag and roll out ¼ thick (or you can and roll it out between two sheets of parchment paper. Place it on large cutting board and refrigerate until firm (about 2 hours in the fridge, or 30 minutes in the freezer+30 minutes in the fridge).
- When the dough is firm, preheat oven to 325 F, line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut off the plastic wrap and release the dough. Cut the dough into 2×4 inch rectangles. You should get about 15 cookies. If the dough crumbles when cutting, let it sit a few minutes at room temperature 2-3 minutes to soften just a little bit then cut.
- If the edges of rectangles lose their shape press it back together with your fingers and place them onto baking sheet with one inch of space between.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until the edges are lightly golden. Cool on baking sheets for 5 mins then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
Decorating the cookies:
- Line cookie sheet or tray with parchment paper. Melt candy melts as directed on package.
- Dip cookies in melted candy (to cover about 1/2- 2/3 of cookie with candy melts) and place on parchment paper lined tray.
- Place candy eyes on wet cookies and transfer in the fridge to set quicker.
- To make the mummies, transfer leftovers of melted white chocolate (or white candy melts) in small zip-lock bag, cut off the corner and drizzle over the cookie to make it look like bandage on the mummy.
- To make the mouths on the orange monsters and green Frankenstein cookies, melt chocolate chips and transfer to a small zip-lock bag, cut off the corner (make sure to create just a small opening so you can drizzle thin lines) and make the mouths. You could also use a toothpick dipped into melted chocolate and draw small scars on Frankenstein face.
- To make the Frankenstein hair, cover the top of cookie with melted chocolate and sprinkle black or chocolate sprinkles on wet chocolate.
- Let the decorations harden completely before lift the cookies from parchment paper.
Shortbread Cookies recipe adapted from The Stay At Home Chef