French Silk Pie is a chocolate lover’s fantasy. Flaky and buttery homemade pie crust with rich and silky chocolate filling, piled high with whipped cream and chocolate shavings on top!
For the crust:
- 1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 sticks (1/2 cup) unsalted butter- diced and chilled
- 2–4 tablespoons iced water
- 8 oz. semisweet or bittersweet chocolate – melted and cooled
- 4 eggs
- 1 ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter – softened
- 1 ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 3 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 and 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar (or more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2–3 oz. chocolate for garnish
To make the pie crust:
- First mix flour, salt and sugar in a medium-size bowl, then add pieces of chilled unsalted butter. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add 2 tablespoons ice water and using your hands knead until dough comes together , DO NOT OVERDO IT!!! (If it’s still crumbly, add water a tablespoon at a time, up to 2 more tablespoons, but don’t use too much water or the crust will shrink while baking).
- Flatten the dough into disks, wrap in plastic and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Roll the dough on a floured surface into a 14-inch round, wrap around rolling pin and carefully unroll over a 9-inch pie dish and gently press into bottom and side. Trim dough to a 1-inch overhang, fold under, and seal to form a rim, then crimp the rim with fingertips. Using a fork poke the bottom of the crust or use pie weights. Wrap with plastic wrap and set in the fridge or freezer. The dough must be well chilled before baking!!!
- Bake in preheated oven at 375 F until golden brown. Cool completely and set aside.
To make the filling:
- In a heath proof bowl beat 4 eggs and 1 ½ cup powdered sugar until pale yellow, place over the pot of simmering water and cook until thickened ( about 8-10 minutes) STIR ALL THE TIME and be careful not to scramble the eggs!!!!
- When it’s done remove from the heat, set aside to cool for couple of minutes than mix in melted chocolate. Cover and store in the fridge until chilled.
- While the chocolate-egg mixture is cooling, beat 1 cup of butter until light and fluffy. Add cooled chocolate egg mixture and mix to combine.
- Beat 1 ½ cup heavy whipping cream and vanilla until stiff peaks form adding ½ cup of powdered sugar and 3 tablespoons cocoa powder slowly during mixing. Fold whipped cream into chocolate, egg and butter mixture and transfer into chilled pie crust. Smooth the top and set in the fridge.
- Before serving, make the whipped cream topping. Beat the heavy whipping cream on high speed until stiff peaks form, adding 1/2 tablespoon of powdered sugar slowly during mixing. Mix in vanilla.
- Top the pie with whipped cream, sprinkle with chocolate shavings or curls and serve.