Every single bite of this Flourless Chocolate Cake is extremely rich and fudgy and chocolate glaze takes it over the top!
- 12 oz. semi sweet chocolate- chopped
- ¾ cup unsalted butter (plus more to grease the pan)
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- dash of salt
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder-sifted (plus more to dust the pan)
For Chocolate Glaze:
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 4.5 oz. bitter sweet,semi sweet or milk chocolate-chopped (I combined 2 oz. milk chocolate and 2.5 oz. semi sweet chocolate)
- Preheat the oven to 300F and place the rack in the middle position.
- Grease 9 x 2 inches round cake pan with butter. Line the bottom with parchment paper, butter the paper, then lightly dust bottom and sides with cocoa powder, then tap off the excess of cocoa powder and set aside.
- Place ¾ cup of unsalted butter cut in 1 inch pieces and 12 oz chopped chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Melt the chocolate and butter in a microwave or over a pot of simmering water. Stir until completely smooth, then set aside to cool slightly.
- Next, in a large mixing bowl place eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt. Beat on a medium speed until pale yellow and doubled in size.
- With your mixer running on low speed, gradually add melted chocolate and mix to combine. Add cocoa powder and mix just until evenly combined.
- Pour the batter in prepared pan and bake about 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Do not over bake the cake!!!
- Col the cake in the pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes, hen run a thin knife around the edges and invert the cake on a rack to cool completely.
- Transfer cooled cake to a serving plate and make the glaze.
- In a heatproof bowl combine 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter and 4.5 oz. chopped chocolate. Again, you can melt the chocolate and butter in a microwave or over a pot of simmering water, stirring until completely smooth. Spread over completely cooled cake.
- Store in the fridge. Remove from the fridge about half an hour before serving.
- Serve with fresh strawberries and drizzle with strawberry syrup if desired.
Recipe adapted from Fine Cooking