Easy Cinnamon Coffee Cake is a fast and simple recipe for delicious, homemade coffee cake to serve at breakfast. Sour cream crumb cake, with cream cheese filling and brown sugar cinnamon streusel topping, is a yummy breakfast, snack or dessert!
For Cinnamon Crumbs:
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon (or more to taste)
- Dash of salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter-melted
Cream Cheese Filling:
- 8 oz. cream cheese-softened
- 5 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
For the Cake:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter- softened
- 2/3 cup sugar (I used 1/3 cup light brown sugar and 1/3 cup granulated sugar)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sour cream
For the Glaze:
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- To make the crumb topping stir together both sugars, flour, cinnamon and salt. Add melted butter and stir with a fork until the mixture is crumbly( make sure the streusel is in pea-sized crumbs). Set in the fridge until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Butter and flour 9 inch springform pan. Set aside.
- To make the filling: Mix together the cream cheese and sugar on medium-low speed until creamy. Add egg and vanilla end mix on low just to combine. Set aside.
- To make the cake batter, in a bowl stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- With an electric mixer cream the butter for a minute, then add sugars and mix until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla, mix to combine. Mix in sour cream. Slowly mix in the flour mixture.
- Spread half of the batter onto the bottom of prepared pan, smooth with a spatula (it will be a very thin layer). Sprinkle with less than 1/2 of the crumbs. Reserve the rest for topping.
- Spoon the cream cheese filling over the crumbs, but don’t go all the way to the edges.
- Using a spoon gently dollop the remaining batter over the cream cheese and spread as much as you can using the back of a spoon.
- Then sprinkle with the remaining crumb topping and bake 50-60 minutes, until the cake is no longer jiggly in the center. If the top browns to quickly, you can tent it with aluminum foil after 35-40 minutes of baking time.
- Cool on a rack, run a thin knife around the cake and loose ring from springform pan.
- Before serving make the glaze. Whisk together milk, sugar and vanilla. If it’s too thick add more milk, or it’s too thin add more powdered sugar to rich desired consistency. Drizzle over the cake and serve.