Cute Christmas trees speckled with red cranberries and green pistachio pieces are perfect Christmas cookies.
- 1 cup unsalted butter-room temperature
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Dash of salt
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup+2 Tbsp. sweetened dried cranberries-chopped
- ½ cup+2 Tbsp. pistachios-chopped
- Beat room temperature butter, powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Gradually add flour and mix to combine. Do not mix too much. The mixture will look crumbly.
- Mix in ½ cup chopped cranberries and ½ cup chopped pistachios (see step 6.) Then, knead it just a few times with your hands until mixture come together. Form a disk, wrap with plastic wrap and chill 45-60 minutes.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 325 F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll out the dough 1/3 inch thick.
- Sprinkle remaining cranberries and pistachio on top and gently tap with your palms or gently roll with a rolling pin just to form a flat surface. You can skip this step and add all of the cranberries and pistachios in the dough, but this way the cookies will look prettier.
- Next, using Christmas tree shaped cookie cutter, cut out the cookies. If the edges look crumbly because of the cranberries and pistachios shape it gently with your fingers.
- Arrange the cookies onto baking sheet leaving at least 1-inch space between.
- Bake at 325 F until the edges are lightly golden brown (18-20 minutes). They may be crumbly right after baking, but they will become firmer after cooling.