Copycat McDonald’s Apple Pies are crispy, flaky and buttery mini pies filled with fresh, sweet and tart apples and cinnamon.
- 2 sheets Puff Pastry-thawed
- 3 cups apples -peeled and diced in 1/3-½ ich cubes (about 4 large apples)
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 3 Tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup water
- 2 Tablespoon corn starch dissolved in 2 Tablespoons cold water
- 1 egg-whisked with 1 Tbsp Cold Water
- 3 Tablespoon light brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- First, make the apple pie filling. In a large saucepan stir together diced apples, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice, and water. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Add corn starch dissolved in ¼ cup water and cook for 3-4 minutes until thickens. Remove from heat and set aside to cool completely.
- Preheat the oven at 400 F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, then set aside.
- Stir cinnamon and 3 Tablespoons light brown sugar, then set aside.
- Whisk an egg with 1 tablespoon cold water and set aside.
- Unfold thawed puff pastry and roll it out on a lightly floured surface in 12×12 inches square. Cut in 8 (3×6 inches) rectangles.
- Arrange 4 rectangles on a baking sheet. Spoon a generous mound of apple pie filling on each rectangle leaving about a ½-inch border without the filling. Brush the border with egg wash. Top with remaining four rectangles of puff pastry. You will have to stretch the dough gently with your hands to be able to cover the mound of filling and match the edges. Crimp the edges with the fork. With a sharp knife cut 4 slits into the tops of each pie. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Repeat the process with the remaining puff pastry sheet. Bake until golden brown 18-20 minutes.