This homemade Christmas Tree Cakes recipe is a homemade version of childhood favorite holiday snack-Little Debbie Christmas Cakes.
- 1 box vanilla (or yellow) cake mix
- Ingredients listed on the box(3 eggs, 1 cup water, 1/4 cup oil)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup marshmallow fluff
- 16 oz. white candy coating or almond bark
- 2 Tablespoons shortening
- Storebought red icing
- Green sprinkles or green sanding sugar
- Grease two 12×17-inch rimmed sheet pan with baking spray, and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Prepare the cake mix according to the package directions.
- Divide the cake mixture evenly between the pans, smooth the top, and bake for about 10 minutes or until it springs back in the center to the touch. Cool completely in the pans.
- To make the filling beat whipped cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract until soft peaks form, add marshmallow fluff and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Spread the filling in a thin layer onto one cake layer. Invert the second cake layer from the pan on top of the filling and peel off the paper.
- Chill in the fridge for 2-3 hours or preferably overnight.
- When the cake is cooled and set, using a 3 or 4 inches cookie cutter cut out the trees and arrange them on a tray. Use a knife or icing spatula to smooth the whipped cream along the sides of the cakes.
- Freeze for at least 60-90 minutes before coating.
- When ready to decorate the trees, melt candy coating or almond bark according to a package’s directions, and stir in shortening to thin it out.
- Line a tray with parchment paper and remove the cakes from the freezer. Dip each cake into candy coating using two forks to flip and lift the cakes. Tap the fork on the edge of the bowl a few times to release excess coating, then place it onto a parchment-lined tray. Do this very gently because the cakes might crumble and fall apart.
- Sprinkle each tree with green sprinkles while the coating is still wet. It will harden quickly because the cakes are cold.
- Finally, decorate with red icing.
After you cut out the trees, you can crumble the leftovers of the cake and roll them into truffles.