Red and green Christmas Sugar Cookies are just fun and festive twist on classic sugar cookie recipe. Sparkling red and green Christmas sugar cookies are perfect, easy Christmas dessert recipe.
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter- softened at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg- room temperature
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Colored sugars-for rolling
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- In a medium bowl cream together, butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg, vanilla and almond extracts and beat until well combined.
- Next, add dry ingredients and mix on low speed, until the mixture is smooth and no dry flour remains.
- Scoop a round teaspoon of the dough and roll into balls.
- Roll the balls in colored sugar to cover all sides, then place on prepared sheet pans leaving 2 inches space apart.
- Bake for 9 – 11 minutes, or until the cookies are just golden brown at the edges and puffed. Cool for three minutes on the pan then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.