Chocolate Pound Cake with Chocolate Ganache is a chocolate lover’s dream. Dense, but very moist cake is loaded with chocolate flavour and a thick layer of silky and smooth chocolate ganache takes it over the top! This classic recipe is simple, but deeply flavorful cake is decadent enough for any occasion! You just can’t go wrong with chocolate.
For Chocolate Cake:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (125 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder (62 grams)
- 2 oz. good quality semisweet chocolate -finely chopped (56 grams)
- 1/3 cup boiling water (80 ml)
- 1 cup unsalted butter -room temperature (230 grams)
- 1 1/4 cup sugar (250 grams)
- 5 eggs-room temperature
For Chocolate Ganache:
- 4.5 oz. chocolate -finely chopped (128 grams)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (120 ml)
- Grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan and line it with the baking paper leaving an overhang the sides so you could easily lift the cake from the pan.
- Preheat the oven at 325 degrees F (163 degrees C).
- In a bowl mix together flour and salt, set aside.
- Chop the chocolate in very small pieces so it could melt easy. Place chopped chocolate in a heatproof bowl and pour boiling water over to melt it completely.
- Next, stir in the cocoa powder. Use natural unsweetened cocoa. Set aside to cool for a few minutes
- Cream butter and sugar until it’s smooth and creamy.
- Then, add chocolate and cocoa mixture and mix to combine evenly.
- Eggs add one at a time, and mix well after each addition on low speed.
- Gradually add the mixture of flour and salt, and stir it well.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan, and tap the pan gently a few times on your work surface to eliminate air bubbles.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean. Baking your cake for too long will result in a dry cake. It’s very short time between underdone and overbaked, dry cake.
- Let it cool a few minutes in the pan, than turn it out of the pan and allow to cool completely.
Make the chocolate ganache
- While the cake is cooling, chop the chocolate in small pieces. (Finer you cut it, easier will melt). Place finely chopped chocolate in a heatproof bowl.
- Bring heavy cream on the stovetop, to gentle simmer. (Do not let it boil—that’s too hot, the chocolate could sizes!) Pour over finely chopped chocolate in a heatproof bowl, let sit for a few minutes, and then slowly stir until the chocolate has all melted. The ganache will be very thin at first, but it will thicken as it cools.
- When it gets spreadable consistency spread it over cooled cake.