If you are looking for new and fun Easter ideas to try this spring, this easy dessert recipe for Carrot Cake Poke Cake is the best Easter treat that you can make for your family.
For Carrot Cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups freshly grated carrots
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 2 x 3.4 oz. box white chocolate instant pudding mix
- 4 cups milk
For Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 6 oz. cream cheese- softened
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter-softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar (plus 2–3 tablespoons more if needed)
- Dash of salt
- To make the cake preheat the oven to 350 F and grease 9 x 13 glass dish.
- In medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves, set aside.
- In a large bowl combine oil, eggs, vanilla, sugar and brown sugar. Mix just to combine.
- Add flour mixture and mix just to combine.
- Fold in grated carrots and pecans or walnuts.
- Spread the cake batter into prepared dish and bake 40-50 minutes, or until the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the cake for 10 minutes and using the handle of a wooden spoon poke the holes all over the cake less than 1 inch apart.
- Meanwhile whisk together instant pudding mix and 4 cups of milk until no lumps remain. Pour the pudding over the cake trying to get as much you can to get the pudding down into the holes. Smooth the top and place the cake in the fridge until the pudding has set and the cake is cooled completely.
- To make the frosting beat the butter, cream cheese, vanilla and dash of salt until smooth and creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar and beat on high speed for 2-3 minutes. Spread the frosting over the cooled cake and set back in the fridge for 30-45 minutes before serving.
- Store the cake in the fridge up to 5 days.